Sign in to follow this  
Frosty Phantom

Warning: Newby! 1.8 16v Cutting out from cold @ Juddering

Firstly a big hello from me to all of you :D

Secondly, am having a problem with my valver. 1990 130k.

She seems to love cutting out when cold. have changed the ISV which was actually bent! So obviously though that was the bast that was causing my problem. Alas no. Although she fired up fine for a day or two...shes at it again. I know this is pretty common, but an unlisted symptom in most of the threads is the cars recent decision to start juddering.

My thoughts is there might be something in the fuel line? Although the cut-out has been a problem since I purchased her, the juddering was not!

Although I'm not completely ignorant I am not clued up enough to pin this down. Which is why I have come to you fine gents :D

P.S The juddering is also only from cold

Thanks,

Mike

May also be worth disconnecting the fifth injector when it's running from cold, if nothing changes when you do so then here lies your problem!

May also be worth disconnecting the fifth injector when it's running from cold, if nothing changes when you do so then here lies your problem!

There is a misconception about the fifth injector.

I think the fifth injector only squirts fuel when the engine is being cranked with the ignition key. Once the key returns to position 2, the fifth injector stops squirting.

Firstly a big hello from me to all of you :D

Secondly, am having a problem with my valver. 1990 130k.

She seems to love cutting out when cold. have changed the ISV which was actually bent! Thanks, Mike

Hi

Did you put a new ISV or a used one.

Can you hear it buzzing when the ignition is on ?

mattkh, Yeh i've heard that somewhere I think too, just another thing to rule out then I suppose.

There is a misconception about the fifth injector.

I think the fifth injector only squirts fuel when the engine is being cranked with the ignition key. Once the key returns to position 2, the fifth injector stops squirting.

poor old 5th inj gets the blame for all running probs on a kjet...they rarely play up

possible temp sensor is malfunctioning too, think its the blue sensor on the side of the cylinder head, cost about £8 from vag so a cheap and easy swap

well people. Temp sensor it maybe for the pinking. BUT I think the timing has decided to skip which would explain the juddering. As now it won't start and is missfiring. Cam was too slack imo, so getting that sorted. I suppose sticky injectors could also contribute, but the timing seems more likely.

Shall change the sensor anyway :D

Will get back to you all tuesday >:/

Thanks for your thoughts people

P.S yes the ISV is brand new, and I'd have to check again for the buzzing but it obviously can't be that loud if I haven't noticed it :/

Ok, update..and HELP! :C The belt seems fine and the timing seems spot on.

Basically she was doing the same old a few nights ago and then cut out....then basically wouldn't start again!. Left it till morning went back and tried again. She started up but was miss firing..

Tightend the cam belt (which seems to have stopped the missfiring) and unplugged a few sensors and plugged them back in again and she started up..BUT it looked as if it was guessing the idle..as it was jumping to 2k and onwards and then back down..and then randomly stalling....

Crank shaft sensor?...I think I was under a bit of confusion as to what the ISV actually is.. I was refering to the bolt on one at the back of the engine...I've recently discovered what the valve is on the upper left of the covers. Which seems to be, when I turn on the ignition, making a clicking noise as if it were arching. IS THIS the ISV? lol, and could that cause (if failed) the car not to start AT all and the juddering?

I really need a diagnostics don't I lol. :(

does the fuel pump sound louder than normal? there are two, one under the mid of the car and the other in the fuel tank

my old car had one pack in and it caused alot of juddering and bad driving. cheapest is teh fuel tank pump. mine turned out to be the one in the tank

Not that I've noticed no, I've not had the car that long so this is all good experience but a pain :D.

When it primes it's quite loud. But as far as I know that's normal. I think possibly it might be that but wouldn't it just not work at all? Where as I managed to get it running again yesterday, ran for 5 miles...juddering and generally having not much power at all, delayed infact. & then cut out again completely when I arrived (phew) >:| and wouldn't start ..did however the next day but stalled instantly.

sigh :(

This is my old car!! sorry to hear your having problems mate, Problem lyes in the fuel pressure hence when it fires up it starts one piston at a time. It has a noisy fuel pump (under car) so it could well that, the fuel filter is brand new so wont cause any probs! Does anyone know of any fuel regulators or anti return valves on the fuel system? Isv is fine and was cleaned few weeks back! Suppose I should change my avatar pic... :(

I've recently noticed a kink by the filter actually..it's not massive but I thought it would generally have enough pressure anyway..maybe that's the cause? :S

Might be worth getting the pump changed if you didn't do so already then ;)

doh...I was too exicted :p

Well I'll replace the coil anyway not mega money, and the pump too.

I have you to thank for changing most of the ignition system already so that's made it easier :p

With any luck lol. Cheers

uh, the ISV was fecked :(. The thing I changed in the beginning was the oil pressure switch, lol doe. it looked fecked anyway however :|

BUT it needs a good tune up anyway. Getting it on a machine some point this week.

Thanks for the advice peeps