Sign in to follow this  
dtjames

What is this connection?

Long time - no see. Hi to all once again.

Recently, my C has developed the stalling/cutting out issue experienced by many. I suspect the ISV, which I need to know how to replace given I know nothing about engine mending! I only guess this due to my extensive forum reading this morning.

However, when I lifted the hood this morning, I found the plug that the arrow is pointing at disconnected. Naturally I reconnected it and gave the car a spin. I noticed some oil below the pipe connections too.

The problem remained.

Problem:

Stall when flicking to neutral in traffic or cruising (fuel economy drive mode)- especially after a quick right-foot itch ;)

Could someone point me in the right direction (ISV replacement link for example) - I have looked for it already. Or of course any solutions they might know to my issue.

All help welcomed as always and Cheers guys, nice to be back again.

thats goes onto a blanking plug. theres not anything there other than the socket for it to plug into. It was for an option fitted to the us models but cant remember what it was.

Gav

@ dtjames

Sorry, I meant to say that maybe the MAF is causing your stalling.

@ Peanut, All my VR's have had that connection and although I'm not sure what its for, I reckon it does meter something and has a purpose.

@ dtjames

Sorry, I meant to say that maybe the MAF is causing your stalling.

@ Peanut, All my VR's have had that connection and although I'm not sure what its for, I reckon it does meter something and has a purpose.

Have a look at what it actually plugs into. Its just a blank

To clean your MAF, remove it and soak it in IPA (available from Maplins overnight) replace as per removal

Gav

I know nothing about engines - where is the MAF please?

Thanks for all this help already - keep going though!

I know nothing about engines - where is the MAF please?

dtjames- Its attached to the airbox. Should have a plug going into the top of the air intake just after the airbox. Oh and dont drop it when you clean it- quite delicate.

ALL- My VR doesnt have the PCV valve just behind the head. But the plug is there, the pipe it plugs into isnt blanked off (if thats what you all meant) it feeds into the air intake that goes into the throttle body.

Keep it coming folks :)

MAF - I will remove & clean tomorrow.

ISV - Can I clean this myself? Where is it situated please?

Yeah you can use some carb cleaner to clean the ISV. If you take the plstic cover off the engine, the ISV is situated at the back to the right of the engine block. Right of the throttle body. It has a white plug going into it and 2 pipes coming out of it into the black square ISV damper box.

Apologies for the pic, was trying to give you a better idea :lol:

Apologies for the pic, was trying to give you a better idea

Hey, don't apologize - I need all the help I can get.

Do I need any special tools or anything to get on with this job safely?

Take the HT leads off first, the HT lead removal tool is best if you dont already have one- someone was selling them on here for £15 a pop inc postage, im sure another peep could tell you who it is exactly. Saves breaking the leads in the process.

Then unscrew the bolts that hold the engine cover on, which you'll need a right sized torx bit to do (star shaped). This allows better access to the ISV. Then to get the ISV off you have to get the clips that hold the pipes to it off, which you'll have to prise of using a screwdriver, but you wont be able to reuse them. I just bought a couple of small jubilee clips from halfords under £3 for 2. You'll then have to push the ISV out of the hoop holder its held in by.

Give it a a soak in carb cleaner. After a damn good soak tip all the carb cleaner out and spray some WD40 in there. Oh and also use a screwdriver to open the valve inside to make sure it isnt seized (forgot that on the other thread cazza, thanks). refit, jobs a good un'.

My knowledge of engines is basic, but improving slowly thanks to the guys/gals on there, and i managed to do it with ease.

I just went out in the C to try to repeat the symptom.

Sod's Law. No stall/cut-out at all and I gave her some welly too.

I did notice the light was gone in my glovebox though :)

Has it worke? I'm procrastinating on doing this but if you say it works I'll get my dad to do this on fathers day....it'll keep him happy.