Sign in to follow this  
nia573

Rear mounted cycle/nike rack for a Mk2 Golf?

Having just bought a Mountain Bike I now need a rear mounted cycle rack to fit my Mk2 to carry 2 bikes (mine & a mates)

Got hold of a basic Halfords 2 cycle one from a car boot yesterday but can’t seem to get it to sit correctly or safely (if the part of the rack sits on the bumper as it should, the cycle mounting arms point downwards which obviously isn’t safe). Only cost a fiver though so no big deal

Anyone got any recommendations on a rear 2 cycle rack or pics of one fitted to a Mk2?

All the arms should be adjustable mate. Sit the base on the bumper as previously then the bits that ar angled down should unscrew allowing them to be raised. Maybe put some pics up so we can take a gander for you.

Just taken some quick wobbly pics :rolleyes:

This is how it sits at the highest hole setting & resting on bumper

Bumper-Highesthole.jpg

Its resting just below the wiper spindle on the body but I don't know how secure it would be? (Should be ok when strapped secure, but I don't want to risk my £400 bike without confirming 1st!

This is at the lowest hole setting & on bumper

(bike arms are pointing down so no good)

Bumper-Lowesthole.jpg

This is an alternative I thought of resting on glass & at the bottom of the no plate recess

NoPlaterecessglass.jpg

Lower frame could slip off perhaps (not much of a lip to rest on)

Hmmmm, its hard to tell from here. I think the rack may look a tad small as though there's a bit missing. My rack is of a similar type to yours, but with the padded bottom bit sat on the bumper the bit where you slide the bikes into on mine would be at the top of the windcreen. Have you tried adjusting the whole rack by turning those knobs that look like seat recliner wheels? If you take them all the way out the rack should move into a few different positions.

Aye I've tried adjusting it to no avail.

Don't think there's anything missing as this is all the parts thats listed in the instructions

(the ones on sale in Halfords look the same too)

The black knobs/yellow are the hinge points, & I can only set these at 2 heights like in the first 2 photos

The yellow plastic parts are 2 disks that have interlocking teeth so that they lock secure at the correct angle

If I increase the angle between the 2 frames to have a contact point at the top of the rear screen the arms automatically point down cos there's no further adjustability

To get the arms pointing slightly up the angle has to decrease but I end up with the lower frame having to come up & sit at the no plate recess like in pic 3

It does look like its too small, as though the lower frame needs to be 6" or so longer

I wonder if its worth getting a pipe bender out & giving the lower frame a tweek?

Cheers for the replies jonnyboyo!

BTW can you remember the make of the rack that you had? Only paid a fiver for this so it might be worth just splashing out for a new one