Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Lupo wiper conversion and why mine never worked until now.

A couple of years back I did the Lupo wiper conversion that others have done on here but was rather disappointed with the results. Sure, it wiped better but in heavy rain and wind I got the same old skating and smearing.

So, given that I've managed to knock my Corrado 'to do' list down significantly recently (heater matrix and brake pipe renewal being major achievements), I decided to take the whole thing apart and start again.

This time I compared mine with the exploded diagram on ETKA and found to my horror that some moron had not only assembled everything totally wrong, but half the washers etc were missing. The upshot of this was that the mechanism was at least 1cm further from the screen than it should have been and was decidedly wobbly.

The main culprit was that the washers that go on first and clamp underneath the body were totally missing. The plastic spacers were also the wrong way round, pushing the wipers even further away and also not providing a centering effect on the spindles, hence wobble. No wonder my wiper arms rubbed off the bonnet.

So, I ordered all the missing bits and replaced it all on Sunday and now it's all rock solid and wiping far better.

I made the classic mistake of assuming that the so-called experts (mechanics) would have assembled everything correctly. The annoying thing is that the wipers have been like this since I got the car, so I could have fixed all this pretty easily nearly 5 years ago had I been bolder (and not had other more pressing problems to attend to!).

If you still have problems with yours, I'd advise checking that everything is present and correct first off.

EDIT: I have found lots of examples of missing screws, washers etc on my car over the years. If I ever find the moron who's worked on it in the past and broken everything...

Thanks for the heads up on this issue, I agree that we expect it to be right after the so called "experts" have applied their trade to something, i always check everything that has been done by someone else, to the best of my ability (and my wifes' chagrin!!!|) anyway.....problem is it's just a job to some folk and they don't show the care and attention needed all of the time which we expect for our babies :lol:

i've just recently bought a corrado and i'm having the same problem, my wipers are crap. i've read loads of comments about putting lupo wipers on instead. can you give me some advice on how to do this and where i should buy them (is vw the best place)?