Sign in to follow this  
swginn

Electrical problems!! please help...

Cleaned my engine bay yesterday and think I must have got something wet.

Battery keeps on running flat. It does take a charge because i charged it up last night and it started the car today. It's a new battery too. I think its the alternator but thats only 3 months old and the battery light doesn't come on in the dash so I'm not sure. Is there anything else I should check before I go to get my alternator fixed only to find it wasn't the problem in the first place....

Car is a 9A 16V and it has an uprated headlight loom if that makes a difference.

Any help much appreciated as at this stage I haven't a clue???

you need to check drain with a multimeter that can run in-line to measure current, should be really low like 0.01A if not, start pulling out the fuses until you find the circuit with the drain. Also, what is the voltage across the battery with the engine running, if it's under 13.5 volts one or more of the diodes in the alternator may be shot.

It's possible the alternator is draining the battery but I'd have thought you'd get a red light on the dash with the engine running.

Thanks for the advice David, turned out it was the voltage regulator on the alternator.... Nice cheap fix for a change! :D