Sign in to follow this  
89 16v

new owner few Qs

i just bought a 89 16v very original i am needing a exhaust urgent does my car have a cat what systems are best for this car ideally i want a manifold aswell any advice or help please

i just bought a 89 16v very original i am needing a exhaust urgent does my car have a cat what systems are best for this car ideally i want a manifold aswell any advice or help please

do you mean you need a new downpipe (which incorporates the front silencer) or are you looking for an aftermarket manifold and downpipe in one?

A pattern downpipe for a passat or mk2 golf/jetta 16v fits the corrado 1.8 16v, you may need a new bolt on heat shield for it though as these corrode through.

If you were thinking of a 4 branch aftermarket manifold I would strongly suggest you go for internally polishing the standard cast iron manifold and fit a standard new downpipe to it, the fitment, heat, cracking, noise and little or no power gains don't make the 4 branch worth it, I'd only suggest this on a highly modified 16v engine where a raised rev limit was used to gain extra power from wild cams at the top end.

The standard 16v VAG exhaust system is pretty good, choices for aftermarket systems are limited as the 1.8 has the golf 2 style hook exhaust hangars and not the 1992 on bar type hangars all the other C's have.

wow lots info thanks i was thinking ss manifold exhaust the works just cos i need a new system any way and thought it would be a good start for future mods