Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Samco's for 2.0 16v?

Looking on eBay and found that you can buy a Samco set for Golf MK2 16v's and Golf MK3 16v's.. the 16v engines are all fairly similar on the Golfs and the Corrado especially with regards coolant pipes so wondered if anyone knew whether either of those sets would be correct for a Corrado 16v?

Mine are all looking seriously past it.. with the cost of single pipes from VW, it'd make sense to just replace a whole load of them in one go for a lot less!

Cheers.

I think the mk2 golf ones would be best suited, although I'm sure the mk3 abf ones would fit too, just the mk2 is closer? I'm looking at getting some of these soon jim, so I'll let you know, unless you try them first of course! Who wants to be the guinea pig?

Be my guest mate! :D Would be very interested to hear how you get on! Maybe worth checking with Vince as he might know for certain what does and does not work on the 2.0 16v?

Thing is there is a fairly hefty price difference between the MK2 16v and the MK3 16v pipes. A bloke on eBay sells them and the MK3 ones are about £150 whilst the MK2 ones are "only" £100...

5 of the 7 mk2 kit ones fit the 1.8 16v Jim, and I don't think the 2.016v parts are any different on the C

I'd imagine the mk3 ones are different, as it has different rads and pipework on the ABF

you can get lengths of hose (per metre) for things like the shorts lengths to the heater matrix, small bore to expansion tank etc, only problem one would be the reducer bend from the side of the head as this is not in the samco kit at all, but I'm sure you could make up what's required from samco or similar parts.

bits that work from the mk2 kit are, top and bottom rad hoses, 3-way hose to water pump head and oil cooler, curly one from cooler to pipework and short reducer from pump to pipework.

Well thats cool - covers pretty much all the main ones there. Even if you decided you wanted to replace a load of hoses and you could get 5 of the main ones for £100, and you had to get the rest from VAG, it'd be a superb saving and a worthwhile upgrade at the same time.

Nice one! Cheers mate :)

Well thats cool - covers pretty much all the main ones there. Even if you decided you wanted to replace a load of hoses and you could get 5 of the main ones for £100, and you had to get the rest from VAG, it'd be a superb saving and a worthwhile upgrade at the same time.

Nice one! Cheers mate :)

yeah, did mine a few years back, VAG hoses can be v-expensive, I had the short one blow and the others were starting to look bad, choice was 200 quid on VAG hoses or 110 on Samcos... difficult choice :lol:

one thing I've discovered is the bottom rad hose, if your front mount isn't in good nick the samcos have less give than rubber so you'll get leaks from the hose being pulled on acceleration

it seems OK as long as you don't stretch the samco onto the bottom of the rad too tightly back to the engine, i.e. sort of tension the hose if that makes sense, they have a little give, and of course a shot front mount is bad news

Just to update this so everyone knows.. I've just fitted a full 7 piece set of Venair silicone hoses to my 1.8 16v that were desigined for the golf 16v mk2 with no real problems (although some were a bastid to fit).

So it can be done. :)

Just to update this so everyone knows.. I've just fitted a full 7 piece set of Venair silicone hoses to my 1.8 16v that were desigined for the golf 16v mk2 with no real problems (although some were a bastid to fit).

So it can be done. :)

They must be different to the Samcos then as two of the Samcos in the 7 definitely don't fit a 1.8 or 2.0 16v Corrado, they are just totally different to any hose on the Corrado.

Can anyone let me know which are the 2 of the 7 samco pipes which DON'T fit a Corrado 16v out of the Golf set?

I'm having trouble picturing them.

in the samco set there's a long straight pipe and a long but 180 degree bent pipe that don't fit.

just found the pic!

samcos.jpg[/attachment:15ivornn]

Well I've just fitted a Mk2 Venair kit to my 1.8L 16v too....and the two hoses to and from the heater matrix definitely don't fit! They are a much smaller diameter than the rado ones, and a bit shorter!

I had a couple of these kits as I was ordering a couple for a few mates, and they all contained the same hoses....so my kit didn't have 2 wrong hoses in it.

All the hoses at the front of the head fit nicely though 8)

Just noting the pic above!....It's the same two hoses on the Venair kit that don't fit......I assumed they were for the heater matrix on the Mk2 as they are the only hoses on the rado that you cant change......but I could be wrong!

I trimmed about 5cm off the 180 deg long hose....and it made a perfect hose for the bottom of the expansion tank! :wink:

Cool, so the other 2 hoses you have to get from VW?

That sounds like a fair deal I think... would it be REALLY pikey to get them in purple to match the car? :oops:

you can buy samco lengths of hose by the metre to most bore sizes and elbows and reducers ar available too, if you spent enough time tracking the bits down you could do just about all the hoses and make them look pretty much spot on I reckon..

i just did my 1.816v samco kit off ebay and madeup the hose from the end of the block to the heater bypass valve ( this hose had burst and is now unavailable from vag) i will be doing the others when i have time as i only changed them 6 months ago. for info for the end of block hose i used sfs hoses 25-19mm 90deg reducer bend , an alloy straight coupler and a 19mm 45deg bend to thr bypass valve then another 19mm 45deg bend to the heater matrix

hope that helps someone,

i intend to join the 2 leftover hoses (the horseshoe one will need to be shortened) to make one from the expansion tank to the metal pipe

So has any-one actually fitted the KR Samco kit to the 9a in a Rado?

My top hose is showing signs of age and becomming a little incontinant! (decided to leak enough to flash my coolant light in the Lion enclosure at Longleat! :eek: )

So would like to do the old Three birds one stone, as want to pop a new Rad and front mount in for Piece Of Mind at the same time...

Just need confirmation that all bar the two small bore (heater?) pipes fit the 9a engine.

Cheers!

I didn't in the end mate - I just got a bit of OE piping from the Stealer.. would love to know for future reference on this though..

Yeah just don't want to be the Crash-test-monkey on this one! Esp as I just moved and have no idea where my local VAG is now! :shrug: