Sign in to follow this  
G60_91

G60 Head Gasket Gone

Just had my G60 back from garage after all the electrics failed in one day! Luckily the guy fixing it was very good and got it all working for me. Lots of earth faults, dry joints and blown fuses etc.

Before it went to the garage for the electricals, i topped it up with coolant / oil. My old man picked it up for me as i was at work and said'ive put some water in it for you as it was about empty'...which was weird as it id only been bout 30 miles.

So it looks like head gasket has gone, very lumpy idle (water in the cyclinder causing a misfire?), using water like petrol, little puffs of steam out the back every now and then.

Has anyone had this fixed before? Any idea if its a big job or expensive? Been told that it might not be that bad as its a fairly simple head to work on and its not really been run sinceits gone.

any advice would be great. This is the 3rd major thing in 6 months so I think I will get it fixed and let it go to a new owner. Its a great car, but my bank manager isnt too keen on a major repair every 2 months!!!

cheers

sam

Hi sam,strange the gasket went,loads of reasons though.

Remember to use the metal head gasket when rebuilding and not the inferior fibre version.

New head bolts are also needed as are numerous seals,gaskets etc,change the timing belt and tensioner while it's all in bits.

When dismanteling the head,take the lot off all toghther,inlet manifold,exhaust etc because they are pigs to unbolt in situ.Check for any dodgy looking studs on the head,far easier to deal with now with the head on the work bench than when re-fitted...

Make sure the threads on the exhaust down pipe are free from rust and clean because they're a headache to remove and re-fit,patience required.

Check the injector loom isn't about to short out or fall to bits,clean out with comp. air all bolt holes,esp. the cyl. block 1's,check carefully the petrol feed pipe to the injector rail for signs of cracking,ageing etc and change if needed.Check also the oil cooler coolant hoses carefully and change the oil filter while the head is off,more room.Check the knock sensor's signal wire(probably cracked and change now that there's plenty of space,same thing applies to that crap plastic coolant flange on the front of the head.

Can't think of much more but i havn't had an 8v head on my car for ages...

the head gaskit itn't to bad.

if you are runnnig the std ex manifold. undo the 6 blots to the down pipe only.

roll the alternator over and undo the head with both manifold attached. this can be lifted off in one. then clean up and fit new gastkit.

tips thou. drain the coolent and oil completly. this is to stop fluids getting in the head bolt holes- preventing them to stretch.

if you are running a 4 branch. both manifolds will need to be removed. grief.

gsf do the original gaskit for i think under £40. plus new bolts £14 coolent and oil and filter. £30.

Thats great. Thanks alot for the advice as I think I will be buying up alot of the bits for him to do the job over the weekend while I am away.

Im sure this will save him time when it comes to doing it.

Im undecided on whether to get rid after this, my head is telling me to get rid but in all honesty I could buy something and have exactly the same happen. There cant be much else to go wrong with it surely???!!!! Its had all the lectrics overhauled, a new front subframe and drive shafts, charger rebuilt by Jabba, ISV cleaned out, both door handle levers replaced with better items, sunroof and spoiler have been checked over and lubed up.... spose there is always the heater matrix :(

Again, many thanks.

sam

hmmmm...

Ive had the G sitting at home for 2 days and its going the garage in the morning to be looked over and fixed.

It was using loads of coolant since ive noticed the idle problems and steam coming out the exhaust, but i thought that would have been cos it was bein boiled up in the head and going out the exhaust. Its really lumpy on low rpm and is making a tappety noise so i gather it is head gasket failure?

I drove it home the other day, topped the coolant up again and left it cos i knew i couldnt get it looked at till the wkend. Checked it again today to see if it would still start ok and the header tank is empty again after being left standing.

Ive checked all the pipework and cant see any leaks or puddles on the driveway. Does anyone know if it may be something else? Id assumed head gasket but not sure if it could be something else now?

cheers

sam

sounds like the head gasket. make sure you get the metal one. as there are 2. cant remember the numbers.

Yeah GSF sell a metal one for about £30. Had a look and a new Head Gasket set for the G60 is £85-90.

Hopefully its not warped as its not been run hot since i noticed it starting to boil coolant and i always keep 2 ltrs of water in the boot just in case.

fingers crossed........ :thumb right:

thanks

dont use the car until the work can be done. even if it means getting the bus with the common folk. worped head maybe ,. or cracked piston pos defo if it runs that hot. been there. done that. not funny.

nah its been sat at home till this morning. Borrowed a mk3 golf off my dad in the meantime. Its been driven id say about 8 miles including getting it to the garage so hopefully no major probs with heat etc.

will let you know what damage is uncovered.