Sign in to follow this  
RDH

Finally found one!! Update 16/04/10

Hi, thanks for comment.

The blue/white wire is part of the car wiring loom, not the Headunit, as far as I can gather connecting it to the HU can interrupt the signal and the spoiler will not be speed sensitive.

Cheers for link though, sure it will come in handy.

Rich

Time for an update!

The head gasket started to go- noticed white smoke/steam coming from exhaust-but no coolant loss/water in oil. A "sniffer" test confirmed exhaust gasses in the coolant so my fears were realised (not paranoia this time :cuckoo: ).I had some cash saved for a stainless exhaust or leather interior so decided to use this for a top end rebuild (existing exhaust and interior are fine), and replace a few other bits at the same time,give the car a good service and try and clean up the engine bay.

Picture before any work

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfhead 4.JPG[/attachment:2yfewpb1]

We removed the head which revealed a cracked exhaust manifold, so the whole lot was sent for skimming/ welding.

Picture with head off

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfhead 1.JPG[/attachment:2yfewpb1]

The only drama we found when stripping was the cracked exhaust manifold, we discovered why oil temp on the MFA was not working- the wire was hanging lose with no connector.

With easy access to the engine bay I decided it would be a good time to renew the water pump, the timing belt and tensioner were done last July and have covered less than 1000 miles, the guy doing the work for me reckons it will be fine to reuse, however I think I will buy a new belt to be safe (paranoia again :cuckoo: !!).

Whilst the engine was stripped I decided to clean a few bits, here are a few pics, the inlet manifold is nowhere near perfect, but it looks a million times better-

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfhead 3.JPG[/attachment:2yfewpb1]

The rocker cover came up well

head 2.JPG[/attachment:2yfewpb1]

The head is now rebuilt and waiting to go on, the old water pump has been removed and the pulley transferred to the new one.

Hopefully it will all be completed this week, it should have been done this weekend however we have so far received 2 sets of incorrect headbolts, and await to see if the 3rd set are correct!.

Rich

Well, it's all back together and running well, car feels nice and tight and a bit more refined. Had a bit of a worry about oil temps (hitting 126 C) however setting the timing has reduced it down to around 116 (which I still think is a bit high), water temp is steady at around 90 when on the move. Think the thermotime switch may be foobared as fan only appears to work on lower speed.

Needs a good clean to remove oily fingerprints, fit a few new rubber bits-then I will post some more pics.

Loving driving it again 8)

Rich.

Well it passed it's MOT this morning with just 1 advisary-the brake pipes have some surface corrosion- MOT tester advised me to clean them up and use some sort of rust prevention on them, will get some waxoyl of bilt hamber products and treat them.

The car is still running a bit too hot for my liking, thinking about replacing the patten pump and stat with an OEM ones, and may look at replacing the Rad.

Only other problem is the spoiler still does not activate at speed, it did work for a while when I replaced the stereo for an original one, however when I replaced a blown fuse (think it was 16- the one that is for the sunroof, cig lighter) it stopped working :cuckoo:, any ideas appreciated for that one.

Have just bought a lot of screws, nuts and bolts to start smartenting up the engine bay, got some surface rust to sort on the front panel, and want to clean up the brake callipers which have 15 years of crap and corrosion on them.

I will also give the car a good machine polish, and fit a few new bits of exterior trim, hope to have it all done in the next few months to enjoy in the summer and maybe use it a bit more this year, as I sat outside the MOT test place this morning I looked at last years MOT and realised I have only done 1003 miles in the C this year!!

Still really love it, and hope never to sell it, do fancy a storm or a G60 though..........

Will post updates as I go.

Rich

Looks like a good un! You can't beat red raddos!

Thanks for that, except it is purple.

Rich

Hey dude,

Bought me a VR in March, lovin it! Seems we share some of the same problems!! Checked out the last advisory online, (due to it not coming with the MOT certificate :bad-words: ) and it also has underbody brake line corrosion! Gonna sort this out next wknd as the MOT is due end of May. Replaced the front discs and pads for standard, the corrosion on them was extreme!! Tried gettin' some of the sh1t off the calipers too, but looks like that's another job for another time!! Was gonna change the rear's too along with the bearings, until I realised Id been supplied with the wrong discs!!! And the corrosion on the rears were worse goddammit!! :mad2:

Also, I share the annoyance of your spoiler problem!! Does yours come down automatically? Mine works with the switch, both ways, comes down automatically but doesn't go up!! Ive checked the wiring behind my head unit, this blue/white wire spoken of on mine, has just been snipped before the connector which fits into the headunit loom!! Have you had any luck with yours?

Nice 'rado tho mate, looks nice in that colour and hope your next few thousand miles of driving it are less problematic!! :clap:

Cheers, Chris

Cheers Chris.

Unfortunately it refuses to start at the moment, got up nice and early to go for a blast today, it fires up but dies immediately, have put a post on here asking for advice.

Think it was you that pm'd me about the spoiler, it works occasionally, really need to trace where the blue and white wire goes now (been connected to some balck wire which disappears towards the fuse box), think I am going to have to throw in the towel and get an auto electrician to look at, the Head unit wiring is screwed as well, and I am struggling to sort it.

Got a load of new bits to fit, just struggling for time, still very much a work in progress project.

Good look with yours

Rich

Have been collecting parts for ages, finally made a start on replacing some untidy bits in the engine bay.

First up the headlight screws were rusted on!

Corrado92.pdfrusted screw.JPG[/attachment:2k3o7uh7]

So had to drill the little ******* out (what a nice job that was)

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfscrew out.JPG[/attachment:2k3o7uh7]

Managed to get both lights out without breaking the tabs- which is always a bonus

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdflights out.JPG[/attachment:2k3o7uh7]

All looks ok back there, with just a little surface rust, the same cannot be said of the fan housing :gag:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdffan housing.JPG[/attachment:2k3o7uh7]

fan rust.JPG[/attachment:2k3o7uh7]

Think it is too far gone even for bilt hamber deox c, so will have to get a new one, anyone got one on good condition? (will place an advert in Wanted section), in the meantime I plan to give enging bay a good clean, get rid on a bit of surface rust and replace a few srews/bolts/brackets/hoses etc.

Will update as I make progress.

Rich

Well passed another MOT, same advisories as last time- bit of surface rust on brake lines where the clips hold them to the underside, and chip in the windscreen. So really pleased, however it is not that suprising given I have only done 400miles in the last year :cuckoo:

Have done a few bits over the winter, new Rad, new fan surround, new pipes and replaced some clips and trim in the engine bay, and replaced the ignition switch........what fun that was!!.

Was nice to drive it this morning, but you really notice how crap the roads are. Hope to use it a bit more this year, but am fancying a VR6 so need to make some decisions about whether to sell or mothball the valver.

Still love it. :camp:

Rich