Sign in to follow this  
cardboard

vr6 brake's on a valver query?

got a 1.8 16v with vr6 discs and hubs etc and am looking to put them on my 2.0 16v which is 4 stud. is this a fairly easy job that can be done in a weekend or more complicated? also will i need to replace any parts when undertaking this change? i was thinking of changing the suspension at the same time aswell as i thought it would be easier????

has anyone got a guide or walkthrough available?

cheers

I've been meaning to do a walkthrough...

Basically, whip the wheel off, up on jacks etc. Unbolt the caliper from the carrier, 13mm and 15mm spanners required. leave it on for the time being.

Then use a 17/18/19mm spanner(or socket and breaker bar as they will be tight) to undo the carrier to hub bolts. remove this, and check the slider pins and rubber boots. Transfer the disks to the new car, fit the caliper carriers, bolting them up accordingly, then swap the calipers over. the reason for leaving them on is that the brake fluid will escap when the pipes are unscrewed. Try putting cling film or similar over the cap of the fluid resevoir and replacing the cap.

You will need an 11/12 and 13/14mm spanner to undo the pipes. First clean the connection well, it's the one in the wheel arch, not on the caliper, and apply plenty of wd 40, the ferrule on the end of the solid pipe rotates rather than the rubber hose when you undo them.

Swap the caliper over and reconnect the pipes.

Note:

Don't get any dirt in the brake lines

You will need to bleed the brakes

The solid brakelines can twist off fairly easily.

Sorry my description isn't tip top, but I'm at work....

Funny... I'm sure when I asked about VR's onto a Valver there was some reason why it wasn't a "Straightforwrd" job... Driveshafts/bearing sizes/ hub differences or sommat...

Funny... I'm sure when I asked about VR's onto a Valver there was some reason why it wasn't a "Straightforwrd" job... Driveshafts/bearing sizes/ hub differences or sommat...

Nah, just the brakes are simple. The hubs are different, but you don't want VR hubs on a valver...

You want G60 disks BTW G60 and VR brake callipers and carriers are the same, just the disks are 4 or 5 stud respectively

if my valver is 4 stud and the other valver now has 5 stud is this a problem? i was under the impression i would have to change the hubs n all????

here are some photos of the 1.8 16v with vr brakes. it doesnt look like there are adaptors and The've even got the ABS speed sensors built in?

DSCN0843.jpg

DSCN0842.jpg

DSCN0841.jpg