Sign in to follow this  
M23 Spire

What Petrol for 2.0L 16v?

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm new to Corrado ownership and this forum, and having just read the cheap fuel thread, and the stats about the different results form the different fuels I wondered what fuel is best for a 2.0L 16v.

Currently (when on the road!) its getting 95RON from Asda mainly because of the 2p off a litre when you use an Asda Credit Card.

Any recommendations most welcome.

Cheers

This has been asked before. Lots :) It tells you inside your petrol filler cap!

95RON is fine. You should see slightly better running from 97RON like BP Ultimate or better. I personally run my car on Ultimate as often as I can, but there is no reason why you shouldn't just use 95RON stuff.

Cheers.

Might give 97RON a go then, see how it feels.

What mpg do you average in city / town driving? MFA says about 27mpg but not checked how accurate that is yet. (Do a few miles on the M60 each day, about 7 each way)

Well I seem to get anything from high teens to low 20's in stop start town traffic. Its pretty dire. Overall though if I drive carefully, I can average about 28MPG - thats worked out from the pump, rather than what the MFA is telling me!

High teens to low twenties?? I get more than that from a 16V Passat estate (ABF engine) even around town and pulling probably 250 - 300kg more body weight. Hell, I only get a bit worse with a 4.2 litre supercharged Jaguar.

Best wishes

RB

Indeed. I'm not sure what causes the dreadful fuel economy but I think the 2.0 16v is well regarded as not being an entirely fuel efficient engine. Having a KR cam in there doesn't help much either. Tend to get anything from 20 - 24MPG for my trip to work.. :(

High teens to low twenties?? I get more than that from a 16V Passat estate (ABF engine) even around town and pulling probably 250 - 300kg more body weight. Hell, I only get a bit worse with a 4.2 litre supercharged Jaguar.

Best wishes

RB

funnily enough round town I get low 20's for my Storm............the worst I've had round town was 19mpg and that was due to the coolant temp sensor being buggered

coolant temp sensor being buggered

Thats been something i've wanted to change for ages but apart from it being a complete git to find in the most recent versions of ETKA, it costs in the region of 70 quid from VW - robbing b*stards!

is there 2 on the valver as well................cos IIRC on the VR the temp guage one is dearer than the ECU one(the VR one I replaced was under £30 again IIRC)

Yeah - already replaced the temp gauge one - that was nice and cheap! :(

the 16V engines just dont like town traffic. Stopping and starting doesn't suit them and i tend to get low twenties in my valver too

i agree, i get low miles round town,to and from work,i get about 230,240 miles out a tank normally,i drove from hamilton to inters at the weekend and did 333 miles and still had 1/4 tank left!i use superunleaded from sainsburys,97 ron

I'm sure that low fuel consumption comes from sitting in traffic - you're doing no miles to the gallon sat still, so the mpg average will go down. You'll be using less fuel than if you were crawling about, but cos you're sat still the mfa will lie.

My old astra gsi used to have both average and instant consumption - the instant would be at 99.9 mpg sat in traffic and the average would be high teens.

Edit - and I only ever used Optimax in my valver - it was great for the motorways, so much better response, but not sure how it affected it around town.

superunleaded from sainsburys,97 ron

Yep, Sainsburys Super for me too, nice a cheap in comparison to BP Ultimate and the like

Ive found the MFA favours cold wet weather, i managed 42mpg on the way home, did a 4 mile stretch at 40mph in 5th, it loved it!

Ive found the MFA favours cold wet weather, i managed 42mpg on the way home, did a 4 mile stretch at 40mph in 5th, it loved it!

Cold air is denser, therefore more oxygen in the fuel/air mix = bigger bang and better efficiency.