Sign in to follow this  
crushedvelvt

I NEED ANY HELP I CAN GET!!!!

recently my 92 g60 started having problems with the gear selector... at first it was just hard to put into first and i would often mistake 2nd gear for first. it then became increasingly harder to to change gears smoothly. just the other day the gear selector would not even work.... it feels like its kinda "just there" it has TONS of play and doesnt feel like it is connected to anything at all... is this a transmission problem or a linkage problem? if so... how would i fix it and how much am i looking at? please help... im open to any and all the help i can get. thanks

I'm going to guess that its the classic circlip problem.

Pull up your gear surround (grip either side of the plastic piece of trim surrounding the gear knob and just yank upwards firmly) and take a look at the base of the gear stick and do the left - there should be a small circlip on the left hand side. You'll notice as you move gears around that there is excessive play - with the circlip fitted, it prevents this and makes the shift accurate.

If its broken off, its not uncommon to find it in two pieces sitting just to the side of the gear stick!

See this topic for discussion on the problem and solutions, and an example diagram from ETKA (on page2) showing the location of it. Be aware that there are a few different part numbers for this circlip depending on the model of Corrado you've got!

If it is indeed the circlip you'll be glad to know its a 30 second fix and will cost a quid or so from the VW dealer :)

thanks i just checked it out with a freind he opened up the hood and checked it out as moved the gear selector around and it seems the problem is a piece in the engine bay has a bolt and washer that came loose i dont know what the part name is and im wondering where i can get a diagram that would help me put it back together