Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

DIY wheel refurb

i just got another set of speedlines and might try refurbing them myself, anyone here done this? am sure i've seen a thread somewhere

any tips?

tip only strip them back if you really need to . . if you do . . nitro morse them back to ali sand them ,fill,and get them repainted with 2 pac by a pro . will be worth the cost . and you get a very hard paint finish .

worth having a look on the edition 38 forum,

as i've seen a few people re-furb and spray there own wheels... and they look the tits 8)

I had a go, first with sandpaper, then a wire brush, and then lost my patience and used a rotary wire brush with my drill, first with a cordless then the full-one corded.

I think I kind of shagged the wheel a bit (I don't dare post photos) but it was a disposable wheel anyway as it was heavily kerbed and dented - a bad eBay purchase of a few years ago.

tut tut . wire brush it a drill will and can burn / melt the ali . as you now know . you may have to cut it well back with fine wet and dry .

Done two sets so far - BBS multispokes and estorils.

Sanded down with progressively fine sandpapers then used filler primers followed by sanding, silver paint and a couple of coats of laquor. All rattle cans from halfords.

Each job has cost ~£20 + many hours of work.

Never what I'd call a mirror finish - but pretty damn good. Would probably have been even better had I been willing to spend the extra £ on having the tyres removed and refitted.

About to start on some Ronal Westwoods soon - another budget job!

Only owned the estorils for 12months after the refurb but they were standing up to daily use very well as far as I could tell.

you may have to cut it well back with fine wet and dry .

No, it's going in the skip. As I said, the wheel was pretty unusable in the first place anyway. :)

I had a look at my westwoods today.

They look very sorry for themselves - very dull grey. gave them a scrub with AutoGlym Alloy cleaner but to not much effect.

So I got the T-cut out and gave a good scrub with a JayCloth. Eventually the dull grey gave way to nice shiney mirror like silver paint :D

Only down side is that the effect below was only achieved after 45minutes. Keep going like that and it'll be nearly 4hours per wheel......

Anyone know of anything swifter than T-cut...... or would that raise the likelyhood of going through the paint by mistake?

you can get better cutting paste than tcut its not that strong . but it is very easy to cut them to far back if you was to use wet and dry . 1000 grit with lots of water but not for long .