Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

Toyota alloys

been offered a set of holy grail alloys for a corrado,a set of BBS LM's for £400 :shock: they have new rims on them, but need the centres refurbed, also got virtually brand new eagle F1's. but they are 5/114. so i have 2 questions.

1, buy them and get them re-drilled to 5/100, fill in the holes that i dont need by a proffesional company, then colour code the centres, but is this a safe way of doing it??

2, is there anywhere that will custom make some adaptors for me?? they are 7.5x17 et 50, so should be ok with adaptors if i can get them.

please help, as the guy is gonna put them on some toyota forums on saturday if i dont take them by then. :(

I personally think adapters is the way to go, but no doubt you'll need to hunt down and engineering shop somewhere, explain what you need to get made, and have them done in steel (not alloy- the threads strip).

On a seperate issue I have to say that while BBS LM's are very nice, in no waay are they the daddies - that honour IMHO goes to the classic RS001's :)

I wouldn't get them re-drilled mate, although know plenty of people that do this / have had this done with no issues. However, there are defo adapters available off-the-shelf (converts VW mk3/rado 5x100PCD to Toyota / Nissan 5x114.3PCD), albeit poss. not in the UK.

You can get them fom a place in Germany, think they are 20mm thick, or you can get them machined a bit to make them 15mm think giving et25 which would be better for the VR, I can provide details of thse if required. You'll also need to be careful with the centre-bore of these wheels mate, as Toyota centre-bore will be either 54.1mm or 60.1mm as opposed to VW 57.1mm centre-bore. Therefore, you will either need to get 3mm spigot rings (easily got from decent wheel stockists / accessory shops) or get the centre-bores machined out by 3mm through a local metalworkers or engineering shop (not a biggie, I've had this done twice for 2 sets of wheels I purchased, costs about £7.50-£10 per wheel). I'd also be careful with the claimed ET. I don't know of any Toyota that had an offset as large as ET50, what model and year are the wheels from (this will also confirm the centre-bore for you mate ) ?

Alloy adapters are ok as long as the threads are proper helicoiled inserts. I'm not 100 % sure, but there MAY also be a company in the UK that does these, I will check things out and get back to you about this. Bottom line is, for £400 and even with adapters costing £150-£200, your still getting a great deal, and for LM's too !

Cheers and HTH

your a bloody star BigTartanJudge that is all the info i wanted, so if you could find me the info for the place in germany for the adaptors, that would be great :)

the centre bore is 54.1mm (i was told), so yeh gonna get some 3mm spiggot rings from a local wheel supplier. the guy only told me the et was 52, but gonna look at the wheels tomorrow, they were off a 1994 MR2, so if you wouldn't mind looking for the et that also would be great.

and yeh £600 all in for some LM's seems to good a chance to pass.. 8)

many many thanks :thumbleft:

karl

According to the info I've seen, the factory offset for a 1994 MK2 MR2 is ET45, is guessing this is not too bad at ET52 for the BBS LM's. However, I'd be inclined to ask the seller to double-check the centre-bore as I have the centre-bore at 60.1mm.

You said the seller says they are 54.1mm, and you are going to get spigot rings made up, but surely if the centre-bore of the BBS are too small you'll need to get the centres machined larger and not get spigot rings (unless of course it turns out that the centre-bore is 60.1mm like I suspect it may be) ? Just to clarify, spigot rings are used to reduce the diameter of a larger centre-bore in a set of wheels to fit onto another vehicle with a smaller diameter centre-bore.

You could get a set of custom adapters made with the spigot ring (if required) built in (kinda like Henny did with this Borbet C spacers) but if adapters are available off-the-shelf, then I would have thought it would be easier to buy these are then deal; with any centre-bore issues as they present themselves. At the moment, I can't find the website for the German adapters (think they were around EUR 170 plus postage for the set), I will keep looking for it and pass it on if I can. However,I have found the rest of the following info from when I was looking into this previously.

A guy I know got a set of adapters made up by a company in the US, http://motorsport-tech.com/index2.htm. They were apparently very helpfull and will make any adapter you want for around $60USD each. this works out at about £120 for four and once you have paid postage and VAT, it works out at about £200 for the full set. Although this is dearer than a lot of off-the-shelf adapters, it is cheaper than all the quotes I got to make a set of custom-adapters in the UK, which ranged from £250-£400. Turn around from order to delivery is about 10 days tops so all good there. Quality seemed to be fine too, they bolt to hub using original wheel bolts.

The company that seems to be the best in the UK was the contact I made on edition38, called alexluxurywheels. He can custom-make any adapter you rquire, as like the company in the states, but he is more expensive at around £68+VAT+delivery per adapter. He can be found at http://www.luxurywheels.co.uk/Home.html

I also noticed have noticed there is the following company in the states again, http://www.adaptitusa.com, that provides both services. They will custom-make any adapters to your specification but they also do a wide range of off-the-shelf adapters, including it would seem the adapters for converting 5x100PCD to 5x114.3PCD (or to put it another way they call 5x114.3 PCD, 5x4.5" as 114.3mm = 4.5"). They were $44.95 plus postage I think so less than $200 (ex. postage) for the set (about $100). That's a damn good price, even if you have to pay postage of £30 on top of that and £20-ish tax.

Again HTH and will let you know if I find the details oin the german supplier.

thanks again for the very very usefull info mate, i have just spoken to the seller of the wheels, and i will be going to look at them in the morning, that way i will 100% have the correct ET, and the correct centre bore. so it looks like i may have some LM's by lunch time :)

thanks for the links also, just gonna check them out now.

karl

Nice one Karl, they are going to look the bollox on your car mate! Hope you do get them and get some adapters sorted out. Although if you dont get them its not like you have a crap set of wheels on at the moment anyway :wink: :lol:

Just had a peek in here about adaptors. Very interesting contacts people, thanks a bunch. If I have enough money left after christmas some bespoke adaptors will be getting made I think!!!

Ta

Simon