Sign in to follow this  
LisaK

Will I need to bleed the system...?

Just a quick one...

I've had to buy a replacement elbow joint/rad pipe flange as it's developed a split down the side. Before I touch anything, I want to be sure of something - will I need to bleed the cooling system afterwards or is it just a straight forward swap and go?

This is the bit I'm talking about (not my engine):

4v4vh3d.jpg

Ta,

Lis

It's pretty much fit and you're good to go... You would fill the system through that point anyway...

TAke the pipe off and get your glamourous assitant to hold it up so no water runs out, new flange on, reconnect pipe, take cap off header tank and add a bit of water (you will have lost some) and run the car until the coolant is warm with the cap off, any air bubbles will work their way out at this point as the bleed pipe to the header tank comes off the top rad pipe you had removed. when it's warm and no bubbles are coming out of the bleed pipe put the cap on and run it up to temperature/until the fans kick in. Let it cool and check the coolant level and that the flange has sealed...

Job done...

Hope that helps...

Tom

It's pretty much fit and you're good to go... You would fill the system through that point anyway...

TAke the pipe off and get your glamourous assitant to hold it up so no water runs out, new flange on, reconnect pipe, take cap off header tank and add a bit of water (you will have lost some) and run the car until the coolant is warm with the cap off, any air bubbles will work their way out at this point as the bleed pipe to the header tank comes off the top rad pipe you had removed. when it's warm and no bubbles are coming out of the bleed pipe put the cap on and run it up to temperature/until the fans kick in. Let it cool and check the coolant level and that the flange has sealed...

Job done...

Hope that helps...

Tom

Cheers :D I wasn't looking forward to doing it if I had to completely bleed the system (I'm a bit lazy :oops: ).

TAke the pipe off and get your glamourous assitant to hold it up so no water runs out

I've seen Lisa's Glamorous assistant and he'll probably break you legs for calling him that! :lol:

Lisa, let us know how it turns out?

TAke the pipe off and get your glamourous assitant to hold it up so no water runs out

I've seen Lisa's Glamorous assistant and he'll probably break you legs for calling him that! :lol:

Hahah yeah, he looks a bit of a hard b*stard ;)

I fitted the part and it didn't seal at all so will need to get a new o-ring. Any idea if GSF/ECP sell them or am I going to have to go back to VW? :roll:

Hahah yeah, he looks a bit of a hard b*stard ;)

I fitted the part and it didn't seal at all so will need to get a new o-ring. Any idea if GSF/ECP sell them or am I going to have to go back to VW? :roll:

I have a certain charm, I could probably dissuade him from violence.

VW will carry the part, as should the others.

Get some sealant (Hylomar??) too just to help seal it.