Sign in to follow this  
G60Mick

Help!!! Charger rebuild.

Manage to source a secondhand charger for my G60 :D , was gonna have a go and rebiuld it myself :shock: . got all the parts and sarted to strip down the unit. Split the casing and removed the visable circlips to take the internals out, but they will only move about half an inch. Can't see anymore circlips and don't want to knock the bo**ocks out of it :censored: and ruin a good charger. :onfire:

Any ideas or tips greatfully recieved.

Cheers

Mick

Yeah a couple of people have got this far and thought better - trouble is it's too much of an expensive item to c0ck up even if it is just a spare...

I would pop it down to G-werks at some point as Darren will probably rebuild it and show you the ins and outs if your interested...

The shaft gets stuck because of that bloody large woodruff key gets jammed against the displacers oil seal,don't force it but get a pair of vice grips and grip the edge and tease it out of it's seating,it'll be tight but have patience and it will eventually move.

Be carefull when you rebuild the charger that the strips don't get dislodged when you go to shut the two halfs(coat the strips in kluber grease or use thick bearing grease).

I normally use silicone sealant on the casings and have never had any issues,time the cogs with the two timing marks that must align at 12o'clock and use a new 12mm cogged belt.

Don't worry if when you turn the charger you hear squelching,crunchy noise as this is normal(grease inside the displacer being compressed while turning the drive pulley).

Grab an electric drill.bung the rebuilt charger in a vice,secure it,cut down an old 17mm bolt that has the same thread as the G-charger's pulley securing bolt,fill the bearings with oil using a syringe and quickly spin up the charger with the drill,if while spinning the charger you can barely put your hand near the outlet of the charger(black plastic silencer or better still,ralley alloy outlet),99% of the time the charger will be fine when on the car,i've done this test loads of times and sold quite a few chargers without any issues.

HTH.