Sign in to follow this  
_Monkey

Clutch playing up after change

I've just swapped the egnine and box on my car, when I detached the slave cylinder from the gearbox, I removed it and placed it on the scuttle and was carefull not to touch the pedal while it was disconnected.

Now I have the new engine etc in, I pushed it back in and done everything up, but now I have no pedal, it seems to drop to the floor like a switch offering no resistance and stays there till I pull it a little and then springs back up again.

when I tried to bleed it, it started bleeding out the air, but then stopped pushing any fluid/air out at all and no change was felt in the pedal.

Any ideas???

Weird...

Maybe a blockage and at least it sould like it's related to the slave rather than the clutch / fork / release bearing etc

Dave - I take it you know the takeoff to the clutch is halfway down the fluid res so you can't let it go below that while bleeding...

Maybe try taking the bleed nipple out and bleeding into a container then try a new slave...

Good idea. Cheers

Is it possible that because I put the slave cylinder above the reservoir, that I could have caused an air lock in the line?

It could just need the union in the line releasing to unlock it???

Cheers for the advice, as it turns out, it was just an airlock.....I think.

The pedal had absolutely no feel to it so we tried removing the slave and pumping through, which it did and when the slave was re-attached, it let us bleed it again. Still no good pedal though, so the flexi section just before the slave was gripped to stop flow which gave me a rock hard pedal (testing master cylinder) and after that, the pedal came back to normal! One more bleed, just to test later and it's changing gears again! :D