Sign in to follow this  
marcus

6 speed options for VR

Does anyone know which gearboxes bolt straight to a VR if i wanted to upgrade, mainly for coping easier 400bhp, including modern 6 speeds etc???

Does anyone know which gearboxes bolt straight to a VR if i wanted to upgrade, mainly for coping easier 400bhp, including modern 6 speeds etc???

Bahn Brenner sell a 6 Speed Box for the VR6!

It will fit the engine but you will have to use the mk4 or mk5 engine mounts with custom driveshafts, its doable but a chunk of fabrication, you might as well wedge an R32 motor in as its the same work

jimmi.......

No good then. just brought uprated engine and transmission mounts, LOL

Back to the drawing board!!

I'm not sure if they still do them but both Quaife and Gemini used to do both uprated replacement 5-speed clusters, as well as 6-speed ones which would all fit inside the existing VR6 casing. The six speed ones require some minor mods inside to get a bit of clearance.

When I last knew the prices back in around 2003 the 5-speed Gemini kit was about £1,250 and the 6-speed was around £1,800 but you'd really need to contact the companies and see if they do them still, and see what ratios are available. The Quaife kit is more expensive still but at the same time it was allegedly even stronger than the Gemini kit.

Frankly though unless you're planning big power for your car I wouldn't bother with either as a VR6 pretty much attains V-max on a standard box in fifth, and you won't make it go any faster with a longer ratio as the (standard) engine won't pull any more than 155-158 really.

HTH,

John

It will fit the engine but you will have to use the mk4 or mk5 engine mounts with custom driveshafts, its doable but a chunk of fabrication, you might as well wedge an R32 motor in as its the same work

jimmi.......

You dont need to use mk4/5 mounts,you can buy or make a transmisson bracket from dutchdub.