Sign in to follow this  
livi1982

Upgrading Headlight

Was driving down country lanes in proper darkness for first time and realise how poor the headlights are. I see there are replacement headlights on ebay as well as wiring looms (which are what exactly). What's the best (cheapest and easiest) way of improving the headlights? Am I missing the obvious (fitting high performance bulbs)? I don't really have the experience, tools or workspace to carry out anything major (live in second floor flat)

This has come up a bit on here...

Probably the quickest, cheapest way of making an improvement is to just fit some very good quality Phillips or similar headlights. I compared my Corrado (with an uprated loom) to another with some good quality Phillips bulbs in and there wasn't much in it.. probably your best option if you can't afford to have the car in bits out of the front of the flat :)

Halfords Brilliance bulbs are the ones to go for and they do them BOGOFF from time to time...

The loom basically shortens the circuit to the lights making it more efficient so it provides the full 12V to the bulbs - as the cars get older the original loom oxidises and you end up getting about 10v (and this goes up to the light switch and back), with the full 12V you will get a 'whiter' light.

How are your lenses?? if the are pitted from stonechips then the light will struggle to project thru, new ones are cheap from VW but only now available for the later cars...