Sign in to follow this  
livi1982

Rusty rear end

Came out of the supermarket the other day to find something hanging out of the rear of my recently purchased 1991 valver. On closer inspection it was a badly rusted sheet about a foot long that was hanging down between the rear bumper and where the fuel tank sits, bit worrying. All the panels and arches seems solid enough, could this be something more seroius? The two metal straps that hold the fuel tank in place are also pretty rusty. There is also a strong smell of petrol in the cab that gets stronger when you accelerate.

I only bought the car a few months ago and am beginning to seroiusly worry about the structure.

There is a metal sheet that is riveted into the inside of the bumper around the towing eye to about half way along. Is it this?

They can get bent from light accident damage.

My fuel tank straps are a bit rusty too, but it is a 17 year old car, so I'm not too worried about that, as long as they aren't rusted away...

The petrol smell is probably a leaky fuel pipe under the bonnet. do a search for this as it could end in tears (and flames)

Thats one of the straps - should be 3...

Early ones are same as a mk3 Golf which is handy - about £13 each

(later ones no longer available but it may be something they start to produce again)