Sign in to follow this  
steveh

Starter Motor Problems

OK had my first major failure on the Storm.

Starter motor just died, turns out the main power feed from the solinoid to the actual motor has just corroded away to nothing.

Got the starter out and had it refurbed by a local person.

Problem now is I just can get the upper starter motor bold back in, this bolt is the really long one that appears to go into the engin mount too.

The thread just does not want to take even thought the thread if perfect. It appears that the alignment is just a tiny bit out.

Any one with any tips or advice on how to get this f*cking blot back into the hole.

Basically I put the trolly jack under the engine and lifted it just enough to support it, this should give you the chance to tighten the bolt.

Yeah - had this on a mk3 even supporting the engine and it moved overnight... (this is why VW state you need to support from above using a beam across the wings)

As David says loosen the front mount then get someone to put a long bar into the bracket and lever it into place, the bolt should have a 'pointy' end so you should feel it as it gets close and try and start the thread...