Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Spotty!

Decided to polish the car last weekend using autoglym super resin polish. However i noticed after that there was lots of little white dots all over, especially on the bonnet. This weekend i used some Mer, which seemed to get alot of the white dots off after a bit of elbow grease. Has anyone else had similar problems with autoglym? Can polish react differently on different body works? Like ive said the bonnet is the most affected, and ive noticed that the bonnet isnt as smooth as the other panels. It has a rough/coarse feel to it. Is this a sign of a bad respray in the past?

And finally, which polishes would you recommend?

Cheers all.

Gaz

lol!! my rado vr6 is red i used auto glym 3 times anyway to cut the story short after it had faded again i noticed white dots all over bonnet mainly and some on wings and couple of other places!! used 3 stage meguiars to get rid but it took some effort, i went accusein some builders saying they had somat in the air off machines etc and it was there fault...

now you have convinced me it must be down to auto "rubbish" super resin glym it does give a great shine though!! its just the after effects.

I used to have the same happen to mine and i use AG Ultra Deep Shine. I clayed my car earlier in the week and now its fine, it looks like a green mirror..

Id give the clay bar a go and see how you get on..

Yeah sorry, forgot to say its bordeaux pearl. So it is the polish as apposed to the paintwork, ill give the clay bar a go and see how i get on. Them mer i used got it looking good.

The white dots are possibly just the polish sitting inside tiny stone chips that you dont notice usually. When i polish black cars its very noticeable, loads of tiny white dots everywhere, but if i spray some detailing spray liberally over it and give it a wipe over it all goes.

Oh ok i gotcha now.

Like this by any chance:

dsc01146wx9.jpg

If so its not the polish doing it, but i dont know what is :lol:

I dont actually know, it looks like oxidisation which is where paint fades from the suns rays, typical on red cars turning pink! BUT it wouldnt do it in patches really so it cant be that. It looks like water marks, as if it had rained and then got hot and burnt the paint perhaps :? Whatever it is though it can be got rid of but needs an abrasive polish which by hand would be very hard work but i would imagine a quick going over with a machine polisher would get shot of it for good.

done it already thats why i bouight a buffer!!! i thought it was builders though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah that definately looks like water marks. The spots im talking about are minute, like lots of little pin sized dots all over. Sorry no pics.

Yeah that definately looks like water marks. The spots im talking about are minute, like lots of little pin sized dots all over. Sorry no pics.

Well that sounds like i sugested first which is that the resins in the super resin polish is sitting inside tiny stone chips you didnt know about. If you have any detailing spray spray some liberally over the panel they are on and buff off and see if that sorts it.

EDIT: Or it could be the resins sticking to bonded contaminants in the lacquer like brake dust or industrial fall out, so in that case claying it as Goldie suggested would sort that problem out.

Well that sounds like i sugested first which is that the resins in the super resin polish is sitting inside tiny stone chips you didnt know about. If you have any detailing spray spray some liberally over the panel they are on and buff off and see if that sorts it.

EDIT: Or it could be the resins sticking to bonded contaminants in the lacquer like brake dust or industrial fall out, so in that case claying it as Goldie suggested would sort that problem out.

So its not a bad paint job on the bonnet then?

Yeah, my next step is the clay Goldie suggested.