Sign in to follow this  
grey-vr6-dan

Passat door handle problem

I bought a set of handles and mechanisms off a mk3 passat to de-lock my corrado. I was under the impression that they fitted on and worked as they are? They dont, the handle when pulled doesnt push the lever on the mechanism down enough to open the door. Is there some kind of mod that has to be done to them?

I bought a set of handles and mechanisms off a mk3 passat to de-lock my corrado. I was under the impression that they fitted on and worked as they are? They dont, the handle when pulled doesnt push the lever on the mechanism down enough to open the door. Is there some kind of mod that has to be done to them?

on the end of the lever that pushes down on the catch mechanism there should be a white plastic bit which is adjustable, just twist it anti-clockwise and it should extend to open the catch sooner.

I see. I looked at that and thought it wouldnt take the stress just being plastic :?

I'll give that a try and report back.

thats what its designed for but if it does break (which has never happened to me) you should be able to replace it with a metal screw with the same thread.

Yeah should just work if they are off the same car but as above you may need to adjust the striker...

Just check the middle 3 numbers for the part number matches between the handles and mechs - should be 839 NOT 837

Yeah they are correct numbers. I personaly removed them from the back of a mk3 passat. I will have another go this weekend. Ive got a sunroof to fit, and front wheel bearings too! Any spare time I want to totaly flush my coolent and put G12 in. Busy weekend :)

Thanks for your help :D

Door handles all sorted now. Such a silly thing, I can't believe I didn't think of unscrewing the adjuster! They work sweetly, much better than the knackered old corrado ones.