Sign in to follow this  
richroberts

quick question - steering rack

As above, a car which im potentially buying has a leaking power steering rack. Any ideas on the price for a replacement? Is it DIY'able or something beeter left for a garage?

cheers

It's not an easy job as the subframe really needs to be dropped, much easier if it's done on a full garage ramp rather than the drive at home.

Expect to pay IRO 150 quid for a recon rack or around 40-50 for a second hand one, replace the complete tie rods while you're at it as it's a difficult job with the rack in the car. The main differences between the models is pre 92 cars have 36 splines on the input shaft from the UJ at the bottom of the steering column, if you wanted to use a later rack you'd need to get hold of a 22 spline UJ from a later car.

Apologies for hi-jacking this thread but i think my p/steering leak is coming from the pipe that starts rubber/plastic then goes to metal (very rusty metal in my case) attatching to the rack if that makes any sense. Is this pipe available seperately or do i have to buy a whole new rack?? Again a 1990 1.8 valver.

look at 2-3 hrs labour for a garage to do the rack, anything from 120 quid upwards I'd suggest.

with the leaking hose, this is the pressure hose to the rack, get one from a passat, they're basically the same and better protected so often in much better nick second hand, I got one from VolksApart for about 25 quid a few years back, very expensive new from VW.

Thanks Dave. Which Passat should i be looking at and is it an easy fit as in not needing to remove the rack etc? Sorry, bit crud on these things!

Thanks Dave. Which Passat should i be looking at and is it an easy fit as in not needing to remove the rack etc? Sorry, bit crud on these things!

it's a fiddle to route the new hose in, and you really need to get under the car as well as on top of the engine but you don't need to take the rack out, it's just a union at either end - follow the pipe to the rack you'll see the connection.

The passat would be roughly the same age, no later than P plate though, and be careful it's not got air-con as the pipes take a different route. the G60 pipes are different too, to avoid the extra plumbing they have, possibly avoid autos too. Otherwise I'm pretty sure any 8v or 16v passat would do- mine wasn't specified and the ones I've seen since then all look the same, F plate to P plate.

The most important thing is a banjo connection at the rack end and a threaded connection to the pump, not banjo at the pump end.