Sign in to follow this  
doracor

Heater core - left hand drive vs. right hand drive

Well here we go... was driving a bit hard and revving my '94 VR6 around 6000rpm when suddenly... steam everywhere out of the dash!

So as you've guessed I now have to change the heater core.

Just a couple quick question:

1. my VR6 is a left hand drive and I live in Ireland. Can I just go to VAG and get/order a heater core? Is it the same on left hand drive/right hand drive?

2. to do the job... do I need to drain the whole cooling system?

Ta

I have just done this job mate (see my gallery!) and you have got yourself in for a treat of a job! :lol:

I dont think the matrix is any different tbh but not 100% sure so best to find out!

I didnt drain my whole coolant system. What i did was bypass the heater matrix by putting a piece of 22mm pipe between the 2 pipes entering the matrix in the engine bay. If you havent topped the coolant up you may find that enough has leaked for you to be able to remove/connect the matrix up without worrying about coolant going everywhere.

Quick update... after working few hours for 3 evening I got all the dash removed and everything ready to remove the heater. I finally did this today but I ran into one snag: the nut below the heater hoses in the engine bay would not come out. The whole screw kept on spining with it as I was trying to unscrew it. I tried different things to lock the screw and try to remove the nut but nothing. I had to resolve myself to grind it completly using a dremel!

Seperating the heater from the AC last thing to do. The lower clip was the hardest to remove. The 2 at the back popped out quite easily.

As I worked along removing all the parts, I realize that a 3 screws were missing here and there, and who ever install the autoradio was a pig. Also, one screw is missing on the top of the heater box. I suspect that the heater must have been replaced already. I'll have to check the car history.

Now waiting for the new heater core to arrive to finish the work and put it back together.