Sign in to follow this  
peppyuk

288mm disks

I got some calipers for 288mm disks the other week and have been looking at disks, which ones do I need? I assumed at first all 288mm VW disks would just be the same but it would appear there are differences, I guess to depth. The calipers I have are from a late golf VR6, are there differences to the calipers or is the difference due to the hub/bearing?

the caliper is the same . think the carrier is different . you can use the caliper and change the carrier to make them in to 312 tt /golf brakes . trip to halford and look in the disc/ brake book should help you out .

you need the disks for the late Golf VR (Highline).

I assume you also got the carriers off the Golf as this is the important bit! You also need different hoses which I guess you have already noticed.

It's a great mod to do, one of the best for the 'night & day' experience!!

I need to get some new discs for my new 288 setup as the ones on it are warped (steering wheel vibrates when braking at higher speeds!). What discs would people recommend? Im running red stuff pads so just want some normal discs really, not bothered about spending a fortune on vented/drilled/named discs. Are the standard discs made by ATE? Thinking just some 288mm ATE power grooves?

I have had a look on GSF and all it says on there is BRAKE DISC - VENTED 288mm, so what would these be do you reckon?

I need to get some new discs for my new 288 setup as the ones on it are warped (steering wheel vibrates when braking at higher speeds!). What discs would people recommend? Im running red stuff pads so just want some normal discs really, not bothered about spending a fortune on vented/drilled/named discs. Are the standard discs made by ATE? Thinking just some 288mm ATE power grooves?

I have had a look on GSF and all it says on there is BRAKE DISC - VENTED 288mm, so what would these be do you reckon?

Give you local GSF a call mate. The only way to be sure. I have got a set of standard VAG discs (not grooved or drilled) to go on with my 288s - when I finally get round to fitting them!! They will be fine. You are right, there is no need to spend a fortune on so called performance discs. The upgrade to the bigger caliper and better pad will make the difference. :)

Cheers Charlie! Glad to hear you have got some 288's now, i can imagine it being a bit scary on standards with a supercharger!

Alternative to GSF is Euro Car Parts which states what the discs are, and for ATE discs its £34.30 each so with VAT and delivery works out at £90. Worth going for them do you reckon or are there cheaper options?