Sign in to follow this  
rapid_rocco

Headunit Problems

Hi,

Am having problems with my aftermarket Pioneer headunit. I've searched the forum, but am still none the wiser :(

Basically.. it doesn't work most of the time, only coming on occasionally (random times). Although it beeps occasionally (as a take the face off reminder). I have a K-reg VR6.

I've used a voltmeter across the ground and live (red) wire, and it is getting around 12.5v constantly. My first suspisions were it wasn't getting enough power (common problem?!). But suspect it may be this.

The car harness doesn't seem to be too hacked into, and am using an ISO connector from that to the headunit. I have used another Sony headunit to check its not a headunit fault, and the Sony one has the same problems - erratic operation.

Is there a means of tapping a live feed off the cigarette lighter or the Ashtray light? Or from the battery? How would you safely go about this?

Usually the engine noise is enough of a VR6 :D , but am pretty much at the end of my patience trying to sort this out, and I'm usually a pretty chilled person. I took it to the local car stereo stealers, and they couldn't find the problem either :mad:

Any help would be much appriciated.

How strange, I had a similar problem yesterday. Unit beeps a few times, shows some life but doesn't actually work. Pulled it out and checked that it had 12v, which it did so thought my HU was goosed. Dug out my old one to use in the meantime and I had the same problem with this too.

Turned out to be that one of the 12V supplies (there's 2!) had come loose so wasn't able to power the unit properly. I suggest you check your connections again, then if no joy take a supply from the ciggy lighter and try that.

The other odvious problem could be the accessory setting in your ignition switch is knanckered which is what happened to mine.. Take the unit out and check that the switched live is off when the keys are out adn live when you turn the key to setting one....

Only other thing i can think of is do you have anything connected to the remote accessory wire in the back of the head unit? That route can back flow current and confuse the head unit if theres any cables attached to it that are shorting out anywhere.... But my money is on the ignition switch...

Thanks for the quick replies.

I am getting a constant voltage across the live and ground at the headunit connector, which i guess kinda rules out loose connections.

My money was kinda on the ignition switch/barrel also. Sometimes you need to 'lift' the key in the ignition barrel when starting it up.

Is there a way of fixing the ignition barrel? I know fitting a new one is a ball-ache :? - is this the only way to solve it?

Many thanks again,

ross

Mine used to do that. The voltage would drop every so often. I ran a fused live straight to the battery. sorted it out straight away.

Modern CD tuners need a lot of current to make them work. Think the old VW wiring is past it's best and not up to the job.

Although the red wire (direct feed to battery) has constant +12v, the yellow wire (switched by ignition) also needs +12v to switch the stereo on.

Do you loose the radio presets when it turns off? The red wire is the supply that holds the stereo memory so if not, that and ground is probably ok. The problem is probably therefore down to the yellow wire, and possibly due to the ignition switch accessories contact as mentioned.

One way to tell would be to connect the red and yellow wires together, so bypassing the ignition switch and feeding +12v directly to the yellow wire aswell. If the problem dissapears its the ignition supply that's at fault. The stereo won't turn off when the keys are removed now mind.

As I remember I thought its easy to replace the ignition switch contacts.. remove the steering wheel cowling and wiring loom plug, undo the contact block from the ignition switch mechanism via 1 phillips screw and it unclips.