Sign in to follow this  
yeti

1999 Passat TDI no pull from 2200 RPM!!

Heya following a weekend sat in a field imagining what a passat looked like... well they turned up sunday :lol: i started to really like the idea of one... (was too much booze and sun! :D )

By chance i drove the workshops passat workhorse today and found it wasn't pulling at all in 4th and 5th beyond 60mph really, about 2200rpm plus it feels like there is absolutely nothing left! It might just be the fact its used to do random trips around and not looked after (noticed the cooling light flashing and had to put 2 litres of water in it before i drove it!) apart from the obvious power issues i was well impressed with the brakes and ride, its a 1999 plate and done 125k which doesnt seem too bad for the age really.

I mentioned the enggine issues to my boss and he said '...o that old things still coked up eh? dont fret the new passat arrives next week we'll be binning that one...' i said i'd take it off their hands if they just wanted to scrap it as its too good to bin with alloys, cental locking climatronic and all that (dont get me wrong it is a shed just a well specced one :lol: ) and i'm sure the problems could be fixed... but can they?

I've joined the passat forum but i'm waiting on my account to be activated so i presumed theres plenty of tdi boys here who may know do these symptoms sound terminal? :(

Hi mate - you just need to get it on VAGCOM, a dead MAF or N75 Valve will drive like there is no turbo...

If it's the 115 AJM engine the headgasket may well have gone - very common fault with that particular engine at around 100k

Those VW TDI's are generally very strong. As Steve says, a VAGCOM session will probably illustrate the problem. They're very sensitive to electrical problems such as valves, sensors and whatnot failing and the car is probably in some limp mode at the minute. Probably something stupid like the MAF!

sweet, cheers guys, that doesnt sound too bad, nothing terminal anyway, it pulls like a normal tdi in 1st 2nd and 3rd around town so i might try and push the issue as i'll be taking the C off the road after E38 and i'd like to get it sorted and once runnig properly tweaked to how i want it... couldnt leave it standard :lol:

Turbo boost hose?? Test drove an Audi A3 110 TDi that had no pull. Felt like a normally aspirated diesel. Took it back to the dealer and told him there was something wrong with it. Turned out the hose had split. Had a similar prob with my Fiat Uno, but this time it was intermitant. Sometimes it would kick in nicely on boost, other times it was flat as. That turned out to be the turbo boost hose popping off as the jubilee clip wasn't secured properly.

unplug the maf and give it a drive, if its got more power change it, dead maf's don't allways show on fault code readers

cool, i'll try it if i get the chance but at the moment its stuck at the back of the workshop and i havent a good enough excuse to take it out, although as soon as i do i'll check it, i noticed theres a bit of rust bubbling round the rear arch and the rear lights got a hole in it, the plus drivers barrels missing... all help make it look tatty as, but it seems pretty solid and even with the little trips its getting ave 45mpg hence perfect for a tatty motorway mile muncher :D

Problem is i darent be seen fixing it before they decide to get rid of it, it'll end up costing me more! :lol: