Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Moonroof pitfalls...

Ok Should be getting round to fitting the moonroof this weekend...

It's from a B3/4 Passat Estate so all should be ok but wondered what the pitfalls to avoid when fitting up are?

No motor with it either so I guess they're ok to use with the early motor from my Rado?

Cheers!

You have to use your early motor as the later passat one doesn't fit. As I said before, get a new seal on it, and take your time....

Well I've printed the WIKI sunroof repair guide so at least I have some referance material...

Any advise on how to adjust it once it's in so I can keep wind noise to a minimum?

Toad, if it all goes a bit Pete Tong should I poo in it's letterbox? :lol:

Flustered.. What do you mean!

Fitted and all is fine It's about 2mm high at the front but no wind noise today!

Really don't want to have to pull the sodding thing apart again...

Actually it was quite easy except for two things...

1/ The windscreen surround (across the top between the A pillars) broke 3 clips trying to get it off.. any-one got part numbers?

2/ The B/C Pillar plastics take some ingenious use of seatbelts to keep them out the way..

3/ The Coat hooks, I have got the covers off but buggered if I can get them to clip back over again.. any tips?

Only other tip is DON'T try this on your own.. needs at least two people (3 are better for keeping the B/C pillars out the way).

Easiest method is to just remove the seatbelts on the c-pillars (Just one bolt holding on each one). If you slide the height adjuster on the b-pillar right down to the bottom you have plently of space at the top to slide the headlining out.

Also, you dont need to remove the trim from along the top of the windscreen! The headlining just slides out of it towards the back of the car.

Easiest method is to just remove the seatbelts on the c-pillars (Just one bolt holding on each one). If you slide the height adjuster on the b-pillar right down to the bottom you have plently of space at the top to slide the headlining out.

Also, you dont need to remove the trim from along the top of the windscreen! The headlining just slides out of it towards the back of the car.

Now he tells me! :lol:

Another thing if you're putting a B4 roof into an early car, you'll need the old motor (hardwired into the loom) and also need to swap the sunroof surround from the Passat (all the way round) to the Rado (hole at front) or, as I did, trim off the "Lip" on the sunroof switch cover... Also I noticed early motors don't have an allen key to manually wind the roof! :(

Now he tells me! :lol:

Another thing if you're putting a B4 roof into an early car, you'll need the old motor (hardwired into the loom) and also need to swap the sunroof surround from the Passat (all the way round) to the Rado (hole at front) or, as I did, trim off the "Lip" on the sunroof switch cover... Also I noticed early motors don't have an allen key to manually wind the roof! :(

Eeeeeehh???? :scratch:

The early motors are plugged into the loom, different place to the passat ones though, I've unplugged mine alright. What do you mean sunroof surround? The 'W' profiled plastic trim that holds the headliner to the sunroof frame? I reused my old rado one, fitted fine. Also, the early motors have a slot for a screwdriver instead of the allen key. You've just got to push the nubbin in the middle in with the screwdriver.

HAve you adjusted the height at all? You just loosen the 4 torx screws you can see when the sunroof is tilted.move the roof, re-tighten and try it out.