Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Headlights were just on.. by themselves..

I opened my curtains this morning and saw that my cars headlights were just.. on. The car was locked and alarmed and everything was switched off obviously.. i've no idea how long it was like that but I can't imagine it was much of the night otherwise the battery would be flat.

Car started fine with a bit of a squeal from the alternator belt when I revved it a little the first few times, turned the lights on and off and lo and behold they went off again as if nothing had happened.

It was PI$$ING it down last night.. likely to be some water ingress somewhere electrical causing it to happen? Any other ideas?

I personally think its my car telling me to stop being so lazy and to put it in the bloody garage at night! :)

if you have a add-on headlight loom then it is likely that the relay has suffered water ingress and is shorting out. Mine did this as the relays were in front of the battery, I've now replaced them and gooked all the contacts with silicon and housed them in a secondary enclosure, so should be OK now.

I regularly maintain to my girlfriend that the car has its own personality and attitude.. as I say, I think it was trying to tell me off for not garaging it last night!

Alas I do have an aftermarket headlight loom on there. Its a bit knackered already - sometimes main beams don't work and I have to open the bonnet and carefully "prod" the bundle of wires round by the battery to get the lights to come on (brilliant eh?) - it needs a rewire and I don't know the first thing about wiring so not sure what to do.

I'll add it to the continuously expanding list of stuff that needs fixing on my car!

or its your headlight switch gone kaput...............both headlight switches I've replaced in my ownership have always started switching the headlights on of their own accord