Sign in to follow this  
allstaruk

Loses power after a few mins.

Hi its me again,

I have spent the last week playing with my friends 16v corrado, as it has been running like s****, anyway the way it was running lead me to belive that it was a dodgy valve, (it wasn't I compression tested all the cylinders) so I moved on and eventaully found that the distributor and rotor arm were very tatty so anyway changed them an it appeared to run like a dream.

I then gave it back to my friend who drove it home got about 1/4 mile down the road and it lost all power an started stuttering along again, DAMN, anyway this is leading me to think that mabey a valve in the fuel system is causing a vacum when you start driving the car or the MAF sensor is dead.

Could anyone shed any light on how I check any or all of these things or if they have come accross this and know the solution.

Cheers in advance

Al

****MOD EDIT**** swearing-vr6storm

If the vac line to the ecu were blocked/leaking/disconnected the timing would never change. The car would run perfect but produce no power.

You could check the fuel delivery, a Golf haynes manual would tell you how. Basically the pump should supply about a litre in 30 sec or summat similar.

There is however a world of difference between pressure and flow so you need to check both really.

I can't remember if any/some 16V Corrados have a lift pump or not. That can produce similar symptons. OK tickover but no power under load. It usually makes the main pump noisey as it is working harder. Eventually the main pump will fail due to the extra work asked of it.

Gavin

Losing power under load does sound like the symtoms that its having, And it seems to tickover perfectly so this is also a symtom, gonna have to go and but a golf manual and see what I can work out.

Do you have any idea where the vac line to the ecu is, or infact where the ECU is I am new to this corrado thing, give me a calibra anyday.

Cheers Al

Do you have any idea where the vac line to the ecu is, or infact where the ECU is

Cheers Al

ECU will be fitted onto the heater scuttle panel, just under the bottom of the windscreen. Lift up your bonnet and look at the space immediately below the windscreen.

The vacuum hose will be attatched to it. Not sure on the 16v but on a G60 this hose must be exactly 1m long, or the car will run like a b*****d.

Ah bollocks thats one thing less that I can think off thats causig all this grief, I am getting propperly confused.

ARRRGGGGGHHHH.

Does the 2l 16v have a valve anywhere in the fuel system for re-presurising the fuel tank or venting gas, It could be somthing is causing the fuel tank to vacum after a few mins.

Just had a look at ETKA and both 16V Corrados have a vac hose to the ECU. Thats how they sense 'load'. Without it the timing advance would never change. The VR and 2 litre 8V have throttle pots which the EU uses to sense 'load' on the engine.

You could try running with the filler cap off, that would prove whether the tank being in vacuum is causing the fault. I doubt it is the problem.

Gavin

Does the 2l 16v have a valve anywhere in the fuel system for re-presurising the fuel tank or venting gas, It could be somthing is causing the fuel tank to vacum after a few mins.

So far as I'm aware there is a valve somewhere in the Activated Charcoal fuel vent system.

> The VW parts catalogue. I have the 2003 model year on CD.

It's a must have!!!!!!!!

So how would one go about aquring a copy of this then?

> The VW parts catalogue. I have the 2003 model year on CD.

It's a must have!!!!!!!!

So how would one go about aquring a copy of this then?

please keep this to PM's.........the forum doesn't want to condone piracy :wink:

Just had a look at ETKA and both 16V Corrados have a vac hose to the ECU. Thats how they sense 'load'. Without it the timing advance would never change. The VR and 2 litre 8V have throttle pots which the EU uses to sense 'load' on the engine.

I had problems with my 16v and tried 3 ecu's before I got it sorted and there was definately no vacuum line, just one multiplug connector so the ETKA may be wrong in this case, or maybe that was part of my cars problem? :lol:

Joe, I just looked again and there is defo a vac line from the oneway valve in the servo pipe to the ECU.

If it is not connected, you will only ever have the 6-8 degrees of advance that is set by the Dissy. That would lead to any extremely flat response by the engine as it can need anything up to 30 degrees to produce power.

Think of it like the pipe connected to the advance/retard unit on old world carb and early 1600 GTI set ups.

I had VSAM on a 1.8 16V Corrado and that intercepted and changed the timing if you programmed it too. It was tapped into the standard ECU vacuum pipe, so that it was reading the same pressure.

VR6Storm comment noted. :D

With ref to ETKA, 'it's not what you know but who you know.' 8)

I am sure you could find it on t'internet. Downloading it may take a while its pretty big.

Gavin