Sign in to follow this  
sim0n_parker

newman cams?

on the bay is a newman camshaft for 8valve vw engines with hydraulic tappets, they list the 268degree cam and 272 degree cam?

anyone used these? im thinking of one for my G60 is it worth it? they are 150 plus postage

i have one and find them a bit lumpy. nothing special at all.

cheap.

try the piper 270h instead

also it worth noting, the lift on the newman is so massive. you have to grind the edge off the port which holds the hydralic lifter. this alone is a pain in the arse. unless you have access to a an air grinder, you have a cylinder head full of aluminimun. which of course you can get out. and it only takes a small amount to knacker a lifter. then it all has to come out again.,

so no dont get one.

yup, as above, it's only the Newman cams that G-werks spec'd up to work with their CNC heads that needed the head modifying to clear the cam lobes....

Did mine with a dremmel as it was the prototype CNC head and the cam hadn't been spec'd up when I got it back, so they didn't machine it for me... only took about an hour to get a nice finish and clearance on all parts of the head and then about 10 minutes with a pressure washer to clean out all of the swarf... :lol: 8)

Sorry to hijack your thread mate but I didn't feel like a new one on this subject should be started. Just wondering what advice you guys could give me on a change of cams for a 1.8 16v? My friend suggested weber, I just need to know what the best power gains would be for the best (cheap-ish, considering the part) price? Thanks