Sign in to follow this  
ProdigalSon

Rear Caliper Bleed Nipple Sheared...

Thought I'd start the Bank Holiday weekend with a little light work on the Corrado, so decided to start by swapping out the rear disks, followed by a full brake fluid bleed. :)

Anyway, to cut a long story short the piston was very stiff when being wound back into the caliper, so I decided to open the bleed nipple to allow the back pressure to escape.

Yep, you guessed, it completely and cleanly sheared off. :mad:

So now I'm left with one completely duff caliper and am wondering what the best plan is to get my car roadworthy as soon as possible.

Options appear to be:

1 - tap and die the remains of the nipple out of there and replace it (drilling it failed but probably because I don't want to cut into the original caliper thread),

2 - part-ex the caliper(s) with GSF to get reconditioned replacement(s),

3 - blow some cash at the local VW for new parts,

4 - 2 or 3 above, but get Mk4 Golf calipers instead of Corrado units.

Advice? :?

If you changed to mk4 calipers bear in mind you'd have to get conversion hoses also.

Have you tried using an 'easy out' ? It's kinda like a tap but tapered and with a left hand flute so that as you wind in you're also trying to undo it.

If you changed to mk4 calipers bear in mind you'd have to get conversion hoses also.

Have you tried using an 'easy out' ? It's kinda like a tap but tapered and with a left hand flute so that as you wind in you're also trying to undo it.

No, sounds like a good tool to have! :)

Where can I get one jonny5?

Well i got one from the stanford hall show a while ago, but i guess you could get one from a good tool shop. You'll just have to have a ring round or a google search for 'easy out' or try 'bolt extractor' they don't cost very much. It's a handy thing to have, good luck with it.

Well i got one from the stanford hall show a while ago, but i guess you could get one from a good tool shop. You'll just have to have a ring round or a google search for 'easy out' or try 'bolt extractor' they don't cost very much. It's a handy thing to have, good luck with it.

Cheers mate, will check it out... :idea: