Sign in to follow this  
BBMG60

No spark from coil

I hope someone can give me some new ideas. I've recently returned from a 2 week break, obviously desperate to drive my Corrado again. It was parked on my drive the day before I went away after going for a 60 mile drive without a problem. However, when I tried to start the engine it wouldn't fire. I checked the plugs-no spark, checked dissy cap (new about 1000 miles ago) looked fine, checked spark from coil - nothing except 1 single spark when releasing the ignition key, like a discharge spark. There is a constant 12v from the centre of the coil which drops slightly when turning the engine over.

I made a basic assumption that the coil was at fault as the car is almost 15 yrs old & had original. I've now fitted a New coil but exactly same problem exists!

Are there any other sensors or electrical components that control the spark generation?

I can't understand what has happened after being parked for 2 weeks.

Any further advice would be gratefully received as I'm getting very frustrated by my lack of knowledge & ability to drive!

:? :(

if it only sparks once when you turn off the ignition I would guess at a dodgy or worn out ignition switch, when they start to wear out they tend to only start when you turn the key back slightly from the starter possition.

Would that still be the case if the engine is turning over, surely if ignition switch was faulty nothing would happen ?

there are a few different contacts in the switch, sometimes the starter wont work or only works if you fiddle with the possition of the key and other times the starter will run but it wont supply the coil.

are you getting any pulsed output from the dizzy to the input side of the coil when cranking, also do you have an alarm/immobiliser?

I kind of had a similar problem which turned out to be the relay for the ECU, just something else to check, not sure what position it is on the fuse box but when its replaced i think its a grey 1 as these are made better than the original which apparently are a common failure. Maybe worth checking as the ignition switch is not the easiest thing to replace, there is a guide on the wiki though, i need to replace mine still as its been in the draw for 2 years, just not looking forward to doing it.

could be

1. ignition switch. common an cars of age.- luckily cheap to fix althou a bit fiddle.

2. the hall sender in the dizzy has broken. - sometimes a pot hole is enough to damage them. or just age. i had one go just out of the blue. when inspected the magnet had shattered.

3. possible the ecu relay. i've never experienced this. wouldn't even know where it is.

Thanks to all for your comments, but I had a result last night.

Battery was on charge all day yesterday as I'd run it a bit low trying to start engine over last few days. I reconnected it and was surprised by a slightly jolty turn over, previously it has spun over quickly without any spark. I released the key & cranked over again, this time it was still jolty, almost stopping but seemed like it wanted to go but like it was shorting out or didn't have enough power. I released the key again & this time if fired & ran!

I've turned off & on several times now, it always starts straight away as before the problem.

I've no idea why this has happened, I

Seriously mine has been like that before.

Was on going for a couple of months been ok then been dodgy, then i was out around midnight on way home and it just died, turned out to be the ECU relay.