Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Immobiliser or ignition problem?

I've had an intermitent problem with the Rado recently.

I'll open the car via the alarm fob, put the key in the ignition then attempt to start the car. Everything electrical fires up, as in the dash, the fuel pump etc, but it doesnt start. So if i just turn the gear back to its start position, then try again, the car fires up. Also sometimes when i turn the key to start it there will be a sort delay of a second or two, then it fires up.

Is this likely to be down to the 17yr old alarm system? Or is the ignition barrel on the way out?

Any help appreciated.

Could be the ignition switch. They're a pig of a job to do as it's in an awkward/fiddly place. Look in the knowledge base as there's a "how to" change them. Did mine recently and only a cheap part from VW. My problem was a rotted earth strap on the starter motor though, all electrics worked but nothing from the engine. Ignition switch is a common fault though, if it's not been changed recently it will need to be soon.

They're a pig of a job to do as it's in an awkward/fiddly place.

Well i am surprised by that, usually all the jobs on the C are easy :lol:

To be honest i dont think i've come across any easy job yet, apart from removing the base of the rear seats, they pretty much just fall out!

I've had an intermitent problem with the Rado recently.

I'll open the car via the alarm fob, put the key in the ignition then attempt to start the car. Everything electrical fires up, as in the dash, the fuel pump etc, but it doesnt start. So if i just turn the gear back to its start position, then try again, the car fires up. Also sometimes when i turn the key to start it there will be a sort delay of a second or two, then it fires up.

Is this likely to be down to the 17yr old alarm system? Or is the ignition barrel on the way out?

Any help appreciated.

I had a similar problem... replaced the solenoid and got the starter reconditioned... hey presto... problem sorted... starts first time everytime!

Hmmmm.

I dont like it when a problem can have a number of causes, mainly because you can bet your bottom dollar that the last thing i replace will solve the problem. So now im looking at a new barrel/starter motor and solenoid, doh!