Sign in to follow this  
ValRado

Removing a toad alarm?

Hi all, the toad alarm in my c is causing me some stress, so far the problems outweigh the benefits so would like to remove it, I have disconnected the alarm system under the bonnet but its still causing problems, think there is a unit inside the car? Not sure which model it is, but it does the r/c/l as well as the alarm.

Thanks

Paul

I think that most alarm systems/control boxes are mounted behind the glove box. If you remove the scuttle in passenger side footwell and look up you will probably see it. You may just have removed the alarm siren from the engine bay.

when the hazards are flashing (and the siren should be sounding) there is a relay clicking near the fusebox, I guess its under there somewhere. is it just a case of chopping the wires going to the unit?

Thanks

Paul

Don't just chop wires! You'll end up with an immobilised car. Relay is probably hazard light relay clicking. Don't think there's much room behind fuse box for alarm unit, look under passenger side, more room for fitter to install it there.

I have a Toad immob on mine too. Same deal with a relay clicking around the fusebox somewhere too, haven't really checked which relay it is though, but it's deffo not the same replay as the hazard lights.

The main control unit on mine is stuck in behind the cubbyhole in the centre console.

Ive removed a few alarms in the past. If you havent got a wiring diagram for it its a bit tricky and time consuming but still doable.

Most decent alarms have more than 1 box, so simply finding one and cutting the wires wont work and will cause u more headaches!

The way to do it is to find one of the boxes, the "clicking" one is probably easiest. Then trace the wires from it back to the points on the original car loom and start removing them from there. Try and remove the alarm loom in 1 peice, as its easier to make sure youve not missed anything. The good thing about alarms is the wires arent usually colour coded, most of the time its all black wiring so its easy to workout what belongs to the car and what belongs to the alarm.

Expect it to take a day or so and you wont be far wrong.

Good Luck!