Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Lowering springs - are they worth it?

Anyone, please? Even if its just to say no -40mm is suppose to be that low and then me to stop going on :lol: Ill measure from floor to arch when i get a chance.

Hi CM!

It looks allright to me mate. Interestly, my VR is exactly the same colour as yours and year too! I'm thinking of trying to lower mine as previously mentioned but mine's got 17 inchers on so not sure whether to go for 60mm or 40mm. Yours looks ok though. The £60 efforts on ebay (coil overs) are adjustable which encourages me that I can make the final tweaks to get it just right but the general consensus seems to be that they're a bit on the cheap and nasty side and I'd need new performance shocks to replace my standard ones! Phew what a nightmare! I wish someone could just tell me the best affordable option! The ones you gor look good value but it's hard to know how they'd work out heightwise on mine which looks really high on low profile 17 tyres!

I wish someone could advise!

Cheers for the pix anyway!

Simon.

lo matey,

I'd definately recommend the FK lowering springs and shockers mate, a bargin at the price they were and a good make and quality too! But like you say not sure what the 40mm drop would be like with 17s. Have a look on the "show us your drops" thread. I did buy some lowering springs but as the responses in this thread have said new shorter shockers would be needed, so i got rid of them on ebay (sold today actually). I assume you were referring to these -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-MK2-3-Cor ... dZViewItem

Another thread came up asking about these, and im sure the original poster was told they should be ok, but again they may have had shorter shockers.

I wasnt sure about the colour of my rado when i bought it but ive grown to love it, looks great when washed and polished up.

Any ideas regarding the top mounts twisting when the wheel is turned?

Crikey. Must say, 40mm looks a lot lower than I was expecting! I'm wondering if they've sent you the right springs or what as I just didn't think the front would be THAT decked?! :)

Ditto mate, ditto. I didnt think they'd be that low either, thats whats made me question it all. Looks possibly more like a 60mm drop. Ive contacted the supplier i bought them off (performance 3000) to query the springs with them. Though, i do quite like the look but want to find out cos its bothering me a bit, probably because its lower then i was expecting.

Any ideas about the top mounts twisting, could do with knowing if they are suppose to do this when the wheel is turned.

Is anyone willing to give me some help/advice?

Oh and Jim, i contacted the place i got the kit from. I gave them the number on the springs, they seem to think i HAVE been sent the wrong springs. They're going to sort it for me.

My lowering is exactly the same as yours.

Slightly lower one side than other.

Have I over tightened the lower nut over tightening the bearings?

My top mounts are slightly proud on the top of the inner wing as your are!!!