Sign in to follow this  
12 DEG BEN

Porsche steering wheel

Has any one put an early porsche steering wheel on there corrado before. Im talking about the one with the two horizontal bars across the middle with the square horn pad in between. It must fit as I saw one on a beetle at the sandown vw event this year so comes from the vag group parts bin of sorts. It looked very small in a small beetle cab so could be suitable. Was planning on getting my standard wheel re leathered but I fancy something to go with my wheels. Maybe having volkswagen branded or stitched across it instead of porsche. What have you seen or what are your thoughts?

The one I saw in what is a tight beetle interior looked very small. 911s are really small inside too. If its comparible to the corrado wheel I might just do it. Any one know the size of the porsche?

they are quite massive, bigger than the corrado wheel. my old man has a 964 and we took the stock wheel off to replace it with a 964 RS wheel - same style, just smaller. both wheels have the VW/audi logos all over them so may well fit... they all fit together in the same way - pop off the horn button and bolt it on. it's still knocking about at home if you want me to take some pics of the fitting for you. IIRC it's a splined hole with a plastic tab that sticks out further to the drivers side - presume that's for indicator canceling? let me know if you want any pics or measurements. the RS wheel is closer to the corrado wheel in size but obviously quite a bit rarer!

apologies for the delay getting back to you, was round the parents today and measured the two wheels - standard 964 is 380mm, RS is 360mm. doesn't sound a great difference, but very noticeable on the car!

Thanks for the response. looking at the picture Im worried about the rim being a bit on the thin side. Kinda like the meaty fat rim on the standard. Do different models have different standard wheels? some cars are grand tourers, some are racers!

i know what you mean, the standard C wheel has a nice feel to it. the Porsche wheels have a quite angular profile when compared to the roundness of the C wheel, but they are still quite substantial. the bumps on the rear of the wheel are a lot more pronounced on the Porsche too, so it still has a good feel. worth checking out the 928/944 wheels if you can, but i think they're similar to the RS wheel in diameter if they're any smaller than the stock wheel at all. later porsches have smaller wheels, but most from 1992/3 onwards have airbags. the trouble with smaller wheels in the 964 era 911 is that because the rev counter in in the center with 2 dial either side of it, your hands obscure most of the dials (including the speedo and all the warning lights!) when you're driving.