Sign in to follow this  
herisites

Quick Question RE hubs/bearing

Just a quick one.

My mate needs to change his front wheel hub as 2 wheel bolts have snapped inside it (thanks for a garage not tightening them properly :roll:) To change the hub do you have to change the bearing as well?

Am i right in thinking the bearing is inside the carrier and then the hub presses on to that and you need a hub puller to remove the hub?

Cheers.

He shouldnt need to replace the hub for that.

Personally I'd get a centre punch and punch in the centre of the snappede bolt to guide the drill.

Then drill into the bolt using a drill bit that is about 4-5mm smaller that the bolt diameter so as not to drill the threads of the hub! make sure also that you drill straight. Might be easier to use a small drill bit first to drill a pilot hole for the bigger drill bit.

Once you have done that then you would be able to knock a large flat blade screw driver into the hole you have created and the bolt should turn fairly freely as drilling the centre out will release pressure on the bolt.

It's not as hard as it sounds either! Done it a few times. Not on wheel bolts but on various things.

You might even find that with a very small chisel or punch you can actually tap the bolt around and unscrew it without the need for drilling, unlikely they are siezed in the hub as wheel bolts are so often removed.

BTW, the new Northampton Screwfix trade counter had stud extractor sets for 2 quid at the weekend, a huge box of them at the counter, one thing I've been meaning to get for ages.