Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

List of Bushes that can be replaced - please help

i'm struggling here, i'm don't know too much about the car.

Meant to be fitting suspension and renewing the steering but every time i want to start i find out there is something else i need to order. Its been a month now, and my suspension is actually dripping stuff onto the ground below.

i know i been making posts all over the place, but really now need some definate answers/lists, so please help :lol: i'm willing to turn all the info gathered into a decent guide etc for future reference, (maybe we can get rid of some of the 30+ pages threads) :D

here's my list so far (typed this so many times now) :lol: i mainly need to know all the bits that are worth replacing while car is apart

-Springs & shocks all round = these came with top plates, do i need to buy new bumpstops and covers from VW?

-Rear ARB and bushes/fixings = is there some bushes on the front ARB that can be replaced?

-Track rods & ends, = found out i need steering grease and new rubber boots, think thats covered now.

-Top Mounts & bearing (front), is there a similar thing on the rear?

-Front Wishbones (i think these come with bushes) are there similar components on the rear?

-Front Ball joints - again is there anything similar on the rear?

i may be fitting a new steering rack, have to check it out first, so obviously car is going to be in a good state to replace anything else that is accessible while doing all these other bits, my local garage don't seem to want to know unless its something hanging off/broken, i don't think they understand how i want the car, they more of a "keep you on the road" kinda garage

-Springs & shocks all round = these came with top plates, do i need to buy new bumpstops and covers from VW?

If they dont come with bumpstops then yeah i would get new bumpstops for them, although they may need cutting down to match the drop (if you are dropping that is)

-Rear ARB and bushes/fixings = is there some bushes on the front ARB that can be replaced?

Yep the drop links, these attach to the wishbones, buy complete new drop links.

-Top Mounts & bearing (front), is there a similar thing on the rear?

The rear do have top mounts yes so probs a good idea to replace them if you are doing everything else as well.

-Front Wishbones (i think these come with bushes) are there similar components on the rear?

-Front Ball joints - again is there anything similar on the rear?

Yes the new wishbones will come with the bushes already in so just whip out the old wishbones and put in the new ones, the ball joints attach on the end of the wishbones. There are neither of these on the rear as the rear has an axle, the only thing you need to change on the rear is the axle bushes but thats a big job as you need to remove the whole axle and you need to press out the old bushes and press in new ones. If you have a chunky wallet and are getting all this done at a garage anyway then i would get them to do the rear axle bushes at the same time, but expect a chunky bill!

I would also replace all the bolts as you are replacing these parts if you are not already as its an old car so they may snap, but if they dont (mind didnt as i soaked them all in plus gas the night before and as and when i done them) then they wont be in the best of condition anyway.

front arb has two inner bushes and the drop links on each end, these have their own circular bush onto the arb end and two round bushes that fit either side of the wishbone.

rack has a large mounting bush towards the passenger side end (RHD) to the subframe

front subframe has mounting bushes at either end

Brilliant stuff guys, just what i need. Thanks

i had droplinks done a little while ago by a garage, didn't really make any difference to car. But at least i know they are new

i'll chap tonight armed with this new info and get him to order these other bits, i have a week off work the week after next, so really need to have everything ready to go

the rack mounting bush is this something that wears? whatabout engine and subframe mounts, as iirc all this need undoing to get to the rack?

sorry u mentioned subframe mounts already :?

only the front subframe has rubber mounts, the one the front engine mount bolts too.