Sign in to follow this  
A1 VR6

SORN'd - Winter Hibernation

No need for a sticker Kip.. lost count of the people who mis-hear me say Corrado and say 'You drive a Corolla?' ;)

Jim, Put the C on classic insurance for non daily driven cars with limited mileage (I use Hagerty @ £178), sorn it and you've got instant payback towards a hack. Before you know it your outlay will be recovered :)

Mine will be going into semi-hibernation shortly, just as soon as I've found a diesel to do the winter running around. Will then just use the Rado on sunny days and weekends, rather than the 600 miles a week she's currently enduring.

Couldn't bear to put her away totally!

mines been off the road since July :( ..............still waiting to get the steering column fixed :shock:

tho having said that................Ive still managed to do over 13k miles in my Taxi since then so not exactly needing a motor :D

Mine's been SORN since the end of June, and been asleep since then. I'm gonna have to disturb it soon though, as i've just ordered my new clutch and flywheel. Got a load of other bits i want to buy, so the winter is gonna be a busy one for me and my credit card 8)

Will hopefully have it taxed again around March...

You guys with hibernating cars - how often do you turn them over/start them/get them up to temp? What problems can you expect if you don't?

You guys with hibernating cars - how often do you turn them over/start them/get them up to temp? What problems can you expect if you don't?

Mechanically leaving the car to sit for prolonged periods of time shouldn't have too much effect on the engine/transmission side, but you may find that with enough time items like brake calipers may seize. The other item you need to be careful of long term are the tyres, which can "flat spot" and distort if you leave them for a long time (say - 6 months), but this can be minimised either by moving the car periodically, lifting it onto axle stands (to take the weight off the wheels), or you can buy nice storage dollies these days which spread the weight across the tyre, eliminating the problem.

John

I blow up the tyres another 5 psi to keep them firmer and put a sticker over the clocks to tell me so so i dont forget to deflate them.

I fire mine up maybe once a month if that and let it run for a good half an hour to get rid of most condensation, i also have a long flat drive so a couple of forward and back runs keep the discs from going rusty its also parked with the handbrake off too.

I use a battery conditioner which keeps it topped up and this only sends in power when it needs it and then shuts off again so it wont over charge or damage the battery.

I always find these hibernation threads depressing!

I limit my Corrado to ~ 7000 miles a year total, and only drive it in the winter if the roads are dry and salt-free. I've got my Golf VR6 to abuse on a daily basis over the winter.

Regardless, I try and drive the Corrado at least every couple of weeks or so. Hate to think of it lying-up without power and fuel running through it...