Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Removing AirCon

I'm thinking of removing the A/C out of my VR as it's not worked from day one (either compressor or wiring, pipes are fine).

Will I have to change anything other than the belt when removing this? Plus, is it a dash out job?

Cheers

To take the lot out youll have to remove dash to get the heater box out,it will be worth doing to sell it all on,I have a later style complete heater box if needed?

I was thinking of removing it all purely for weight and the fact I use the car once a fortnight even if it did work I wouldn't use it very much.

Is there anything behind the dash I'd have to replace or is it all just a removal job?

I've removed the air con from my G60, as like you it hadn't worked since I got it (and I wanted and FMIC 8) ). If it's like a G60 most if not all of the stuff under the bonnet can just be removed and new belt put in. Under the dash, there is wiring, and a big plastic trumpet thing which the fan is attached to. That should be removed and replaced with a normal one (for one thing it will free up some space as the air con systems are bulky). I haven't bothered changing the distribution box for a non-air con one. If you don't chnage that it isn't a dash out job, as most of the stuff is beneath the passenger side of the dash.