Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

VAG Quantum Alarm/Immobiliser

Hi all,

Ive read a very old thread saying that Quantum was a VAG fitted alarm on the Corrado. I've rang round for some insurance quotes today and have been given a great quote through Adrian Flux, but was told i would need to get a Thatchem Cat 2 approved immobiliser fitted. This is where the problem starts - I have a Quantum fob, IS the Quantum just an alarm or also an immobiliser. I can set the alarm and open the doors, the alarm will go off. If i set the alarm and try to start the car the alarm goes off but doesnt start. Does this mean i have an immobiliser too, im thinking yes. But when i had a problem with the car not starting the recovery bloke was looking for the immobiliser but could not find it anywhere, ive looked myself and i cant seem to locate it. There is a siren under the bonnet attached next to the coolant bottle and also a red light on the dash, which works but cant seem to trace the wire. Anyone else got a Quantum alarm and know where the immobiliser is?

Also, can anyone recommend somewhere in yorkshire where i can get them to confirm i have an alarm/immobiliser (if i do) and write a certificate for me to show the insurers as i didnt get one with the car when i bought it.

Thanks

Gaz

it sounds like my alarm which was fitted when car was new. a vag 5000 also known as a scorpion??, and i was told by insurance that its no longer thatcham approved.

mine is an alarm & immob, has the siren next to the coolant, and the previous owner had problems with the car not starting which was down to immob, not sure when it is tho? is it near the drivers side suspension turrent by the bulkhead, i may be thinking of another car

Just been ringing round to fing out more, apparently the immobiliser is built into the engine (somehow). The insurers have just said to me also that the factory immobiliser isnt approved anymore. No mate couldnt see it where you said. Going to have to have a shop round for one me thinks.

So what happens to the factory immobiliser if an after market one is fitted, disconnected, still active???

3corsameal's right, I was also told by my insurance company that these were no longer Thatcham approved. There is a separate immobiliser module which will be buried behind the dash somewhere as these were aftermarket dealer fit. You may only need to fit a new Cat 2 immobiliser as that's what's required by your insurance company, which is cheaper than a whole new Cat 1 and you can still retain the Quantam one you have if you want. Probably best to have the whole thing replaced though given how old it is now.

Oh and depending how old your car is you may have a transponder key immobiliser with a coded key that talks to the brain, but that isn't Thatcham approved either I'm afraid.

Ive been enquiring about a cat 1 alarm. A local mobile fitter gave me a few options, one was a cliffard but was a bit out of my price range. The other was one called an 'Autowatch', never heard of them before myself. But it has all the usual features the toad Ai606 has. Costing £275 inc fitting and also including ripping out the old one free of charge. I would love to have remote start but was recommended to get it when the new cat 1 was fitted as opposed to retro fitting it, again a bit out of my price range, as i would have had to get the cliffard with the remote start as an extra.

Any other recommended cat 1s can you suggest? Ive got about 300 (inc fitting) to spend.

Cheers!