Sign in to follow this  
rajarella

Guide to replacing a front hub

Has anybody got a quick guide on how to replace a front hub on a VR6 (with ABS) they can email me? I know it is probably straight forward but I would rather be safe than sorry as it is the first time I have ever worked on my Corrado.

Thanks

Rich.

It is fairly straight fwd but at the same time you need to know what your doing...

First of all is it the just actual hub you are replacing (the face the wheel bolts to) and why?

(The other part it could be is the bearing carrier which holds the hub/bearing that everything bolts to (Track Rod, Bottom ball joint, driveshaft, caliper carrier)

It is definitely the hub I am replacing. The thread is nackered on the one fitted to the car at the moment so I bought a new one to swap it out.

Ok - do you mean the wheel bolt thread? if so you could sort it by using a thread restorer (Halfords / Snap-on)

If you mean the thing the Hub nut bolts too tho that is the outer CV joint...

Yeah, I (stupidly) cross threaded one a month ago but it wasn't too bad, ordered a thread restorer from Snap-on (£2) and sorted... nice to have new hubs tho as they do corrode with age etc... £25's cheap tho, I thought they were more like £75!

I think you'll need a new bearing kit tho with it along with the 3 bolts for the bottom ball joint as you need to take the bearing carrier off to release it - unless anyone was a way of extracting it on the car and not replacing the bearing???

Oh I wonder if I have ordered the right hub then if it should be more like £75!! I got it from GSF. I have only got that and a new hub nut, I didn't realise I would need so many more bits.

Right I am going to attempt to change the hub blind. If anyone has any tips then please feel free to share! I will jot it all down as I go along and all being well I will post the guide up. If you don't see anything up on here in the next few days then it has all gone wrong and my vr6 will be lying in bits :lol:

No it isn't too late, thankfully I don't work in the rain so the weekend was a no go. I have ordered a tap to rethread the bolt hole but it hasn't arrived yet.