Sign in to follow this  
toon vw

mirrors not working....

My mirrors have never worked in the 18 months i've owned my car but has never really bothered me that much, but i got hold of a cheapish mirror switch & have just popped it in, now when you try to alter them to the left (on both mirrors) thats fine, but up, down & right all it does is click & nothing moves??? :(

Any ideas???

Ta Andy

P.S I have a late vr 8)

I've had this problem and bought a new switch. However i remember reading on here that it's just something to do with the contacts oxidising in the switch and if you prise apart and cleant them it''ll all work again. maybe try a search - you'll find the post somewhere.

I've had this problem and bought a new switch. However i remember reading on here that it's just something to do with the contacts oxidising in the switch and if you prise apart and cleant them it''ll all work again. maybe try a search - you'll find the post somewhere.

YAY......happy days, i now have 2 fully functioning mirror switches :thumbleft:

I did a quick search as suggested, got a bit of green pad & just gave the contacts a little rub down to get rid of the oxidising, put them back together & bingo :lol:

A very easy fix that took about 20mins in total for 2 of them including testing them out.

Thanks Andy

I think I'll give this a go tomorrow as my mirrors don't work at all. No whirring or clicking from the motor what so ever. I'll let you know the results :D

Rich

Well I had alook today at the wiring behind the switch & what a nightmare :shock: It looks like someone has had a go at re-wiring them at some point as they had 3rd party male & female connectors on them. The switch for the mirrios is a round switch. Is this from a later model? Mine is a J reg 1.8 16V. I'm only asking as they look like they've been put in at a later date as the wiring is certainly not from the factory :shock:

Rich