Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Noisey door

Hey all,

I've recently noticed while going down the motorway there seems to be alot of wind noise coming from the passenger door, will this just be the rubber seals that need replacing? Also, if i the window is up and i press close on the button the window goes up a bit. Does this indicate that the window is dropping a bit (possible source of wind noise), if so what would cause it to drop.

Also the drivers windows seems to rattle, again is this down to the window rubbers?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

can you see any gap at all?

mine was noisy and the gap got worse and worse then something snapped and window wouldn't go up or down and was left with a 4" gap

on mine it was the plastic clips that hold the cable on the top and bottom of the vertical runner inside door, the clips break apart and let the cable slip through them.

had to replace the whole lot

Yeah ive had that before on a previous C where the black plastic edge whistles in the wind. But can only be heard with the door open. This wind noise is when the window is closed.

The window rattle is something that was annoying me a huge amount a couple of weeks ago. Initially earlier this year I found if I put the window down half a cm it changed the angle of the mechanism and stopped the rattle. I always assumed that this was a window rubbers problem as I had an old fiat with this symptom. But a few weeks ago this stopped solving the problem and was driving me nuts. I tracked the problem down not to the rubbers but to the white rollers at the bottom of the window lifter mechanism. they were moving horizontally and therefore the metal bit with holes in (thats the technical name for the lifting arms) was twatting (the technical term for resonating) off the inside of the door.

As everything was rivetted the only option is a whole new mechanism really - a cool 180 notes to stop the rattle. So instead I bought a 4.99 pot of grease from halfords which i smothered the roller wheels and arm bits with to dampen the effect of the rattle. This worked a treat. Now I can hear the passenger side doing it which will be next weekend's task!

Perhaps this is what caused your problem too.

Have you ever removed the door cards? PM me if you want to chat about this.

Mark

Wind noise can be the window has slipped a bit in the housing. close the window as far as you can. Now using the flat palm of your hand see if you can push the window up any futher. If you can then chances are that will close a gap that was causing wind noise. That was a problem on my mk3 golf. I never fixed it, I just put up with having to close it the last little bit by hand.

If that doesnt do it, i dunno. To be honest my corrado is far from quiet and i'm just going round the car tightening things up at the moment to make it quieter. Check that the wind noise isnt from your scuttle cover on the passenger side. This can work loose and cause a bit of noise. I shoved a white duster under mine which seemed to sort it by stopping it moving , plus stopped leaved coming into the air vents.

i got a new mech off ebay for £10 and it was perfect, only problem i have now is that the window mech i replaced has highlighted how slow the other one is :lol: