Sign in to follow this  
efil4sbuD

VR6 ABS and wheel speed sensor problem

I had my rear beam on my Corrado off for a few days so the brake lines were left to empty themselves. I tried to block them up but it didn't work.

Consequently i had to bleed them quite a few times after reassembly to get the brakes working again but still something is not right.

My ABS warning light is on constantly. This started when i took the dash apart and disconnected the warning lamp. Maybe that has to be fixed with VAGCOM or something. When the light occaisionally goes off, my brakes are prone to grabbing really tight, much harder than normal. I prefer to have the light on so i know my brakes are constant though that means i have no ABS.

Due to the reservoir running out my brakes were a bugger to bleed. I eventually got it done by bleeding with the engine running (hoping to get the ABS pump working and the air out). Still, it took a few attempts and i had to bleed it at the pump too.

Does anyone know if i can solve the ABS light problem with VAGCOM and get the ABS working again?

Also, when i took the beam off i also had to disconnect the wheel speed sensors. One went back ok but the other doesn't seem to sit properly. Consequently, when the ABS decides to work and this sensor also tells it that the rear wheel has stopped, the brakes go funny and start grabbing as explained above.

Anyone got any thoughts on how to get the sensor back in without damage? It's kind of in a tight spot and i should have connected it before i mounted the beam but it's too late for that.

Thanks, James.

Sorry if the last post was a bit of a yarn. I've now sorted the problem.

Basically i knackered the ABS sensors when i removed the beam. I now have new ones in and everything seems fine.

At least i'll know in future how to take them apart.

Those ABS sensors on the rear axles are a right bugger to remove. I did the same thing, plenty of copper grease on rebuild to stop it happening again!

the original sensors (or at least i think that's what mine were) had metal sleeves around them that located them in the stub-axles. metal-metal is obviously going to seize like a biatch over time, so when it came to getting mine out, i did try very carefully with twisting the backs of the sensors etc to loosen them nicely, but nothing was working.

in the end i just said bugger it as both sensors were old and one was dodgy anyway and i twatted them both out with a hammer, even this still left the metal sleeve in of of the stub-axles which i had to gently chisel out.

the new sensors that i bought had plastic outers where they went through the stub-axles, so someone has obviously thought about it and put it right. i reinstalled mine with a load of copper grease, and should be able to remove them very easily now if i need to.

as for removing the original sensors though, if no amount of plus-gas and gentle twisting etc is working, then i would just say bugger it and shell out for the new ones - it may be expensive, but at least you will know they won't fail, probably for as long as you own the car anyway

only thing i didn't mention before you do that, is that the new sensors are a little expensive - roughly £50 a side which is a bit salty!

a good place to go (i haven't looked at the price) which is cheap is AVS car parts - http://www.vwspares.co.uk

i've always found them to be about the cheapest place to buy stuff

That just about sounds like what i had to do with mine. Hammer then chisel!

I also got mine from VWspares. Febi stuff IIRC.

I need to change mine on a early car, but it looks like the later type rear abs sensor is much cheaper. can this be used instead?

they look similar on the pictures in vw spares website.

sorry buddy, but i've honestly got no idea - if they could both be used then i doubt that there would still be an option to buy both (i.e there would only be one option to buy) - but you never know...