Sign in to follow this  
russed99

Engine swap

The head gasket has gone on my 1.8 valver :( and with it having 185k on the clock and burning a bit of oil i have decided to get a replacement engine.

1. Whats the easiest way to get the current lump out?

2. What engine considering i'm on a budget. Am i best just swapping like for like?

Cheers, Russ.

i have a 2.0l 16v im looking to shift soon if your looking for a straightish swap. it will only be the lump and gearbox though as i need the other bits.

its still in my rado at the moment and running but will need a new ecu unit as mine is alittle faulty, but the engine in general is sound with a new clutch. no odd noises or smoke.

i live near southampton if thats any good to you.

chris

The head gasket has gone on my 1.8 valver :( and with it having 185k on the clock and burning a bit of oil i have decided to get a replacement engine.

1. Whats the easiest way to get the current lump out?

2. What engine considering i'm on a budget. Am i best just swapping like for like?

Cheers, Russ.

You can pick up a replacement Kr engine for very cheap these days!

Clicky

I'm sure there is the info on here somewhere as to how you remove the engine components. But very basically you need to:

Remove: front bumper + slam panel. Take off all the engine pipework + electrical plugs etc. Remove the pas pump. Get a splined socket to remove the inner cv joint bolts. Unbolt the two engine mounts + gearbox mount, and lift the engine out with an engine hoist/crane.

Dec: ta for the advice mate much appreciated

R4: keep me informed mate i might just be interested :D

well the engine will be coming out within the next couple of weeks, im not looking for much for it as id rather have the place for the vr. have a think about it, no worries if something better comes up for you.

the 1.8 16v is a piece of cake to take out, like the guy before said....

good luck

I can thoroughly recommend dropping the 2.0L ABF bottom end in with your existing kr head.

when my 1.8 kr bottom end decided to head out for lunch and not come back this is what I did.

found in various VW's (although mine came from a Seat toledo)

Its a straight swop and I haven't missed the 1.8 :)))))

Well it sounds like you know what your talking about white so on your advice i'll persue it mate.

The only problem being, as usual lately the C is off the road and the missus is whingeing that we should ge something more reliable. Time is running out........................Help!!!!!!!!