Sign in to follow this  
TomD

Boost hose keeps popping off...

Hi All!

Had my G60 in the garage to fix a leaking crankshaft oil seal. I've spent the last 5 days finishing their shoddy job and fixing the things they've manage to break (Don't ask - its a long list!) Plus changed the gearbox oil for MT90 (Which is awesome btw!!)

Anyway, its feeling really good and as fast if not faster than its ever felt, but....

It keeps blowing the boost pipe that goes over the rad fan at the end it meets the plastic pipe that goes down to the I/C (stock side mount) During long periods of full throttle/boost.

When I got it back from the garage I found a split in that hose, but it've wrapped it in loads of electrical tape and seems to be holding up really well and not leaking boost - until I can find a replacement.

It seems like the metal collar that sits inside the plastic tube to stop it sqaushing is moving too far inside the pipe, meaning that the end of the pipe where the ridge that is supposed to stop the hose popping off is deforming inwards and sending the pipe off the end.

Is this a common problem, is this a reasonable explanation, and is there a good fix for it?

The hose is much stiffer now its wrapped in tape but could that cause it to pop off? I was thinking of making up a longer collar that couldn't move in as far out of some old exhaust pipe as I found some thats pretty much bang on the right size - but wary of putting anything that's not supposed to be inside the boost system in it.

Also, without buying a whole samco kit, is there a place I can get a replacement for this hose?

Thanks in advance - she's almost back up and running now and this is pretty much the last thing (for now of course...its a G60 after all!) :D

Unless you go for the Samco boost kit, VW will be the only place to replace that hose :-(

I would get a price on it.... The stump up for the Samcos ;-)

Probably, they wanted £80 for two water hoses on my G60 so I saved for the Samcos

wasnt too much more to replace the lot :lol:

That metal collar is the important bit. As the others have said.. looks like its time to replace or save for Samco's!

That's what I thought...but its got literally a whole roll of electrical tape and it hasn't deformed or broken and its pulling well - but i need to get it swapped asap.

So... to cure the problem for good and get rid of those crappy plactic pipes, I've been looking at the BBM replacement pipe kit - they look good but from searching they don't always fit too well? Can you get them in the UK or is it an import from the US job? Looks like they won't be much more than just a samco kit with the XRs at the mo.

Also, do they actually flow better and increase power/torque/responsiveness or is it more for show? As they look like they'll flow much better than the stock items.

Man this is an expensive month! :(

I've Got the BBM pipes on my G, well worth the money, i went through 2 or 3 plastic pipes (2nd hand, vw want £90ish +vat)

They do fit well but you just have to take the time to get them all inline, took me a while to figure the correct layout :lol:

Give Darren at G-werks a shout, he is a BBM dealer :D

Ps. worth thinking about the RSR if you want to replace all the crappy plastic!! If you haven't already!!

You could always buy some alloy piping (much cheaper than BBM pipes) from a supplier, as people use these for custom charger / turbo / IC pipwork, to replacethe VAG pipe. I did this with mine and looks much better, won't deform under pressure and cheaper than any manufacturer.

One more boost leak question....

I can here the boost leaking out of the hose under full boost - kind of makes a squeak/squeal noise that builds up.

But I've also got another noise....a quiet hiss coming from the footwell or behind the clocks..

Am I right in thinking this is almost certainly the plastic pipe that goes from the inlet manifold to the clocks to do the MPG? Or would another boost leak be able to be heard in the same place? I've been over all the obvious connections and can't seem to work out where its coming from.

You know with a G60 with the boost return removed...on no or part throttle you get the wooshing noise from the throttle body, then as you got to WOT it does quiet and all you can here is the noise of the engine....well I can still here a slight hiss.

Cheers!

What footwell? When my pipes cracked the hiss was always louder in the pass. side footwell. Your right though, there is a tube for the MFA behind the clocks but it's probably too small to make any sort of major noise?! I maybe wrong though!! :lol:

Got the squeeky noise too, used an inner tube from a bike but still got a screaming/squeel on full boost :lol: :lol:

Also noticed these on ebay, doesn't look anything like the BBM kit but might be worth a try?!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-CORRADO-G60-PO ... dZViewItem

Definitely coming from the drivers side rather than passenger - does seem to be like it could be the hose going to the clocks...but I have no idea how the garage could have managed to pull that off. If there was a leak around the manifold would you be able to hear it in the same place?

I've been looking into these DIY boost testing kits that people have made...looks like a good idea. But do you just have to hold the second butterfly on the linkage closed?

Cheers!

There is a boost test guide in the wiki, but whatever you do don't hold the second butterfly closed :shock: Think it's 2 second blast or there abouts?! Best to do it with someone else there as moving the linkage and listening for leaks is hard to do on your own :lol:

Did the garage have the clocks out? worth checking the hose hasn't just popped off, only 4 screws to get the surround off then 2/4 screws to take the binnacle out, but you might have to take the steering wheel off?!

Did some googling and after finding a few different guides I've been busy and have made myself up a boost testing kit....gonna try it out tonite!

Basically into the pipe that goes over the rad fan motor goes a lid from a can of plus gas, which fits really snuggly and is clamped. Took an old bicycle inner tube and cut the valve out, drilled a hole into the top of the plusgas cap and sealed the valve into it with sealant. Then took another old bit of hose that fits onto the lower exit of the throttle body, used some more of the rubber from the inner tube and some sealant to seal up the end of it, clamped it all up. So that'll go in one end and the cap goes in the other...

...Then you can use a bicycle pump or similar to pressurise the system and test for leaks.

The idea is that you can here even the smallest boost leak as the engine isn't running. So that's tonite's little adventure! :D

i just drowned all connections with fairy liquid, and disconnected butterfly linkage and with 2 sec blasts, shut the butterfly and looked for bubbles