Sign in to follow this  
pete_griff

Calipers from BiggRed and my running gear refurb

after all the ball ache of doing my front calipers i'm seriously tempted to send my rears to biggred to be rebuilt.

are yours standard vr6 rear brakes? i think i need carriers too from looking at your pics.

after all the ball ache of doing my front calipers i'm seriously tempted to send my rears to biggred to be rebuilt.

are yours standard vr6 rear brakes? i think i need carriers too from looking at your pics.

yes i've got the standard rears - had those redone by biggred too.

with the front's you will need different carriers - the calipers are different from the standard VR ones as well...

i have a set of 288 carriers that are sat doing nothing if you want those for 25 posted?... - they will need a good scrub up with a wire brush unless you send them to biggred as well... (as i used 312 carriers which have now been sold with my calipers in exchange for some brembos.)

i can recommend the job that biggred do though - their finish is lovely. although the fittings they provide you with are of poor quality (sliders/bolts etc), so IMO it's best to either reuse the old VW ones or just buy new ones.

hope that helps :)

this thread is great for me, i'm just coming back to it as i'm going to do my rear beam like yours.

think i may as well get the new brake bias too. Do you just bolt it on and connect the lines back to it? or does it need setting up etc?

this thread is great for me, i'm just coming back to it as i'm going to do my rear beam like yours.

think i may as well get the new brake bias too. Do you just bolt it on and connect the lines back to it? or does it need setting up etc?

i just bolted it on and set it to the maximum setting. with running my 312's and soon to be brembo 323's braking will be plenty powerful at the front, so i can afford to send realistically as much to the rear as the valve will allow. looking to get the 280 rear upgrade at some point as well...

if you are running standard brakes still then you may want to consider getting it set up properly at a place that can measure brake load...

sending mine off tomorrow, will try to get some before and after shots as they're pretty rusty now.

going for the polymer coating jobbie, seems a bit of a waste to get them refurbished only to start rusting a few years later, this way i can have piece of mind for an extra 30 quid.

is blanking off the brakes lines recommended once i disconnect them?

i've got nothing to put in the open hoses etc? so they may have to sit there open until i get the beam off, refurbed and back on

to be honest, it will be a good excuse to change your fluid (unless you have done it recently)...

i wouldn't bother, i would just change the fluid as it's not expensive.

it was done not long ago when all the calipers were changed and a few other brake line, i think the four going into the brake unit are the only original ones

Will shortly be sending all my calipers off, are the rear calipers the same as mk2 or mk3 golfs? Prices are quite different on the Biggred website

the ones on mine were off a mk3, but i know they were changed at some point in the car's life...

also the prices vary depending of whether they are girling or lucas...

mine are the lucas ones which are significantly rarer (apparently) and hence the bits etc are more expensive to get hold of...

you're best bet is just to give the guy a ring once you have some idea which ones you have on the car...

:shock: wow looks great. i got my calipers and holders redone by biggred but with a silver sort of paint that is also resistant to brake fluid. there much tidier.

but yours looks way better in black.

great job on the whole thing. 10/10